• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it possible to organize contacts into folders?!

Magna1ryan

Lurker
Jul 10, 2017
I have been spending hours trying to figure out how to organize my phone contacts into folders. I have downloaded atleast 10 different contact apps, and NOT ONE of them allows you to organize contacts into folders.

I also have my contacts synced with outlook and google, and neither of them are working for organizing my contacts either.
Outlook lets me organize the contacts into folders on outlook, but if I move them out of the main folder they are in by default, it just makes the contact disappear on my phone.
Google lets you label your contacts, but still leaves them in one unorganized list, and the labels don't even show up on my phone anyway.

How can this be so difficult?! It seems like such a simple concept given we've been able to organize email contacts for over 20 years. How has a developer not come a long and said "Hey, I'm going to make an app that lets people put their contacts into different groups or folders."

All I want to do is be able to have categories like "Friends" and "work" and "people from my hometown" so I don't have to look through a giant list of hundreds of people every time I want to find a contact...

This seems like the most practical thing in the world, and yet nothing exists that allows you to put contacts into folders. Or am I crazy?
Is it possible to put contacts into separate folders on a phone? If so how?

Hi, my HTC stock contact app has a 'Group' option which has a number of groups set up by default with the ability to create new groups as I require.

I can then choose the order in which the groups appear.

Screenshot_20170710-212740.png Screenshot_20170710-212810.png

I've always assumed this facility is common across devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones