1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Is it possible to over charge my Incredible 2 battery?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jfk515, Jun 10, 2011.

1. jfk515

jfk515 Lurker
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    I've always been in the habit to charge my cell phone over night, but the man who worked at Verizon said don't over charge it my incredible 2. I didn't think anything of it till later on that night. Should I not leave my phone plugged in for more than 2 hours, or what?

Advertisement

2. anguish

anguish Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 21, 2010
    IT bitch
    Hell's Outhouse
    First I've heard of that. I always leave mine plugged in overnight, never had any issues. Yeah, it's sometimes warm, but that's also due to it accidentally getting covered as well, as I often fall asleep listening to music or podcasts on it.

3. njtexas

njtexas Member
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    I charge mine at night...I've had my Dinc2 for 8 days now. Still having trouble getting through the day fully charged. I have the brightness low and I don't use the droid that much throughout the day. Not sure if I should get juice defender or not as I really was hoping my battery would last longer.

4. Lespaul20

Lespaul20 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 8, 2011
    No you can't overcharge your phone. There should be hardware and software safeguards in place that prevent doing so. I always plug it in before bed and unplug it in the morning.

5. njtexas

njtexas Member
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    I charge mine at night...I've had my Dinc2 for 8 days now. Still having trouble getting through the day fully charged. I have the brightness low and I don't use the droid that much throughout the day. Not sure if I should get juice defender or not as I really was hoping my battery would last longer.

6. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    Sigh... find this person and berate him for telling you foolishness. The DINC2 is smart enough to stop charging when the battery's fully charged. 'Course, after that, the charger becomes yet another energy vampire as it pulls down idle current. I put all of my charger/wall warts on a single switched strip so I can turn them all off when they're not doing their job. Maybe it's not a huge savings by itself, but if we all did it... :D

7. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Android Expert
    None

No you cannot overcharge your phone.

If you search you will see a lot of posts about bump charging on HTC phones. The reason this is necessary is because when you put your phone on the charger (with it powered on) the battery will charge to something like 96%, then discharge (run on it's own power) until it hits something like 80-85%, then start charging again.

To get the most charge on your battery you're supposed to pull it off the charger when the led turns green, power down the phone, put it back on the charger until the led turns green again, and continue putting it on the charger with it powered off until the led is green instantly when you put it back on the charger. That is bump charging.

Even using a separate charger that charges the battery out of the phone, any decent one will have a trickle charge circuit in it.

8. robert235

robert235 Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    older li-ion batteries have memory effect,that cause them to lose there charge when over-charging or long term recharge.Newer batteries shouldn't be affect by over-charging.

9. bik2101

bik2101 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    i've contacted htc service reps who ahve told me that bump charging will damage the batteries and shorten the lifespan of them so its hihgly unrecommended.

10. Lagos

Lagos Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    Just plug the phone in and charge it over night like everyone else does. All current electronic devices are made to prevent overcharging on their own. The guy you spoke to doesn't know what hes talking about and doesnt have any insider info about how batteries work.