• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it possible to put phone into wifi-hotspot mode with screen broken?

Hi guys
I just dropped my s4 while it had no case on, it landed flat on the screen. It so happened that glass did not shattered but display is dead. Phone still works, I'm getting notifications and touch work but display is black and even backlit is off. I cant upgrade for next two weeks, I don't want to buy new phone in between and

I did a quick check through Google and didn't see a way to turn it on via ADB commands. Which of course doesn't mean it's not possible, the only thing it proves for sure is that I didn't find it. :)
The video things is a good idea, hopefully somebody can help you out with that. Mine is rooted and on a different ROM, so it looks different. That aside I'm in the U.S. on Verizon, so it MAY look different even if it's stock. I don't know if those kinds of things change from carrier to carrier.
Good luck.

Reactions: Elek93
Upvote 0
Provided you haven't moved any of those swipe down shortcuts around this should work, I've measured it on mine which is still default placement.
1. From the home screen swipe down as you normally would to bring down notification panel.
2. Tap in the VERY top right hand corner of the screen one time.
3. The WiFi hotspot icon is 4 - 5.5cm down (vertical) and 1.5 - 2.5cm from the left, tap once.

Measurements taken from Inner edge of bezel in portrait mode, hope this helps :)

Reactions: Elek93 and Podivin
Upvote 0
(...)and i did deleted shortcut from notification quick access bar so i need to do it through settings.
:)
We can close this topic now. On day when I dropped my phone i swear touch was still working (i blindly changed songs from lockscreen and answered call) but when battery died and i charged it back again it dont recognise touch anymore. I bought mhl cable and hooked s4 to my tv and i cant even swype past lockscreen.

Thanks for help anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones