• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is it possible to tether the android to a wireless router?

BTW, a little OT, but Verizon FiOS is awesome.

Fiber is the future, and it's FAST! Plus, the HDTV isn't too shabby either :D

If only verizon would bother to offer it in my area. They won't even give me their regular dsl service. I called them up to ask if I could switch to them, and they simply replied "at&t services your area". So much for deregulation increasing competition... They aren't even trying to compete.

Upvote 0
The author of this thread appears to want to tether an Android phone to a wireless router. I would like that too for use in my trailer while traveling. I don't care about absolute speed. I just want a mobile hotspot where more than one member of my family can connect to the Internet through a single Android phone at the same time.

At present, I am using AziLink to USB tether my Milestone (Droid) to my Linux laptop. Proxoid is another possibility, but it is more limited. PDANet will allow you to USB tether an Android phone to a Windows or Mac laptop, and it is in the Android Market.

Other than to root your Android phone, I have not yet found a way to create a mobile wifi hotspot with an Android phone. However, I'm still looking.

Upvote 0
I tether my phone to my xbox for xbox live, and I don't have any problems at all. My ping is a little higher than cable or dsl, but it is definitely playable with xbox live service.

That really depends on where you live. I don't get 3G at my house. Until our phones get faster than 10Mb connections, it won't be my primary internet source....

Upvote 0
Its easy! Ive done it a Thousand times, dating back to my touch pro days!

1. Root your droid, and use wifi tether.
2. Get a Linksys DDWRT capable router, flash the router to the ddwrt firmware.
3.Use a Linksys DDWRT router to use the wifi provided by your droid.

It works well, i have experience using it on WOW, and it works fine.

Please direct any questions to : www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router

Or me, i can help some..

-Jon

Upvote 0
Its easy! Ive done it a Thousand times, dating back to my touch pro days!

1. Root your droid, and use wifi tether.
2. Get a Linksys DDWRT capable router, flash the router to the ddwrt firmware.
3.Use a Linksys DDWRT router to use the wifi provided by your droid.

It works well, i have experience using it on WOW, and it works fine.

Please direct any questions to : www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router

Or me, i can help some..

-Jon

i have a dd-wrt router and am trying to figure out how do do exactly this. Please share your knowledge.

Upvote 0
Well i have been trying again for about an hour and no luck. I simply can not get this to work correctly. From what i remember when setting up the router to be a repeater or bridge i need the router and wifi ap names to be the same, so i renamed the router AndroidTether, which is the default name for the droids wifi. I believe that the ip address that the droids wifi spot assigns to itself is 192.168.2.254, so i entered that as the default gateway of the router. I gave the router an ip address of 192.168.2.9. I must being doing something incorrectly. I determined that the droids wifi ip was 192.168.2.254 using the ipconfig /all command in windows, but i could be wrong.

The reason i am attempting this is for use with my FTA receiver (sonicview premier) and IKS services (ihub). I live way off grid and use solor panels for power. I use to use a pc between my iks unit (ihub) and phone to share the internet connection, but being limited in power i need to do away with having my pc on to watch tv. I need to have my dd-wrt router act as a bridge to my droids wifi connection wirelessly, then that should allow me to have a wired connection from my iks unit (ihub) to the router to get the keys needed from the iks server to unscramble my tv signal.
Basically i just need my droids wifi internet connection to be available to the routers wired ports.
If anyone has a similar setup please inform me of how you got it working.

I have tried this a few times over the weeks, but would really like to get it working soon.

Thank you for your time.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Reactions: Big Cheese
Upvote 0
Well i have been trying again for about an hour and no luck. I simply can not get this to work correctly. From what i remember when setting up the router to be a repeater or bridge i need the router and wifi ap names to be the same, so i renamed the router AndroidTether, which is the default name for the droids wifi. I believe that the ip address that the droids wifi spot assigns to itself is 192.168.2.254, so i entered that as the default gateway of the router. I gave the router an ip address of 192.168.2.9. I must being doing something incorrectly. I determined that the droids wifi ip was 192.168.2.254 using the ipconfig /all command in windows, but i could be wrong.

The reason i am attempting this is for use with my FTA receiver (sonicview premier) and IKS services (ihub). I live way off grid and use solor panels for power. I use to use a pc between my iks unit (ihub) and phone to share the internet connection, but being limited in power i need to do away with having my pc on to watch tv. I need to have my dd-wrt router act as a bridge to my droids wifi connection wirelessly, then that should allow me to have a wired connection from my iks unit (ihub) to the router to get the keys needed from the iks server to unscramble my tv signal.
Basically i just need my droids wifi internet connection to be available to the routers wired ports.

I have tried this a few times over the weeks, but would really like to get it working soon.

Thank you for your time.

I'll play around with it this weekend and see what I can come up with.

Upvote 0
So i have been trying for hours to get my dd-wrt router to act as bridge or repeater for my droids wifi tether. I am beginning to believe it is not possiable. No matter what settings i use i can not get the router to communicate with the droids wifi tether.

I have no problems connecting the dd-wrt router to act as a repeater/bridge to my cradlepoint router that uses a verizon usb modem. So i know it is not an issue with the router itself. It must be a issue on the droid side, or my settings in the router are somehow incorrect.

And again, i am not sure if the ip address for my droid is absolutly correct. I use the ip address 192.168.2.254 for the gateway and dns settings on the dd-wrt side. I assume that 192.168.2.254 is the droids wifi tether address because that is the ip i received when i ran ipconfig /all command from my windows pc when my droids wifi tether was connected.

Has anyone ever successfully had a dd-wrt communicate and share the droids wifi tether internet connection? I am beginning to believe it can not work.

Upvote 0
Just got out of traffic school....anyway....at least now i know it wasn't something i was doing wrong. I also could get the dd-wrt router to connect to everything except my droid. I knew the droids wifi was a adhoc connection. I even tried the adhoc option in the dd-wrt side with no luck.
Now if this problem were to be worked out would it have to be on the droids side or the dd-wrt side. I ask this because i would like to know what forums i should be seeking help in.
Does anyone know why the wifi tether is adhoc mode? Or is it that the droid just can't do a infrastructure mode?

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
Im reading alot of this tething, i use pda-net to connect my laptop (windows7) when im not in a good wifi. I just moved out further in the country, i did have broadband now i cant get anything where im living now. If im reading this correct what you guys are saying there is no way to use my wireless router that i was using on my cable modem.
I currently have a TrendNet TEW 652BRP Nspeed.
I was running the laptop and xbox live off of this router, can anyone give advice?

Upvote 0
Im reading alot of this tething, i use pda-net to connect my laptop (windows7) when im not in a good wifi. I just moved out further in the country, i did have broadband now i cant get anything where im living now. If im reading this correct what you guys are saying there is no way to use my wireless router that i was using on my cable modem.
I currently have a TrendNet TEW 652BRP Nspeed.
I was running the laptop and xbox live off of this router, can anyone give advice?
i'm try'n to do the same but get ERROR 621-did you? that's on my laptop.do you know how to fix that ?it works great on my pc.

Upvote 0
Here are a few thing I know or have done before I get to my question:

1. I know I'm getting mobile broadband data on my phone
2. I have rooted my phone and both wirelessly and wired tethered my phone successfully to my laptop.
3. I have shared my connection with multiple devices as a wireless hotspot
4. You can wireless tether to some routers (NetBSD, Cradlepoint, DD-WRT flashed firmware routers) and share or repeat your WiFi connection.

Which leads me to my question, if I can do all that, can't I just use a USB to Ethernet adapter and wire my phone to a router to get a better connection speed? Instead of using my phone as a wireless router with a -wireless router- can't I just make it into a modem (getting my USB 2.0 or ethernet speeds), and use a GOOD router for my full 450mbps to my laptop?

Also if I get a Verizon 4G phone, the connection speed would be comparable to that of cable or DSL. And I would be able to use voice and data simultaneously.

This would be ideal, and should be possible. I just don't know if it is :/

Upvote 0

Thank you for your time.

It can be done. In fact, I am doing it right now to make this post.

My background/experience: I am a network admin/engineer.

My current setup:

Phone: Droid bionic

Router: Cisco e4200 v1 (I know, I was it was a v2 also)
Status: DD-WRT 18000. Running as a Client Bridge for my phone.

Now, if you follow these directions to the "T" you WILL be able to share your phones tethered data connection through your router. To clarify, I am using this to connect my phone to my router wirelessly and then using the wired ports on my router to connect my computers to my phones tether connection.

First off I would like to state that I did not figure this out on my own. My knowledge comes from the following source: Client Bridge - DD-WRT Wiki

I assume you have rooted and have DD-WRT installed, if not look elsewhere for info on how to do so.

Here we go!!

Section A: Starting with your phone.

A.1. Install FoxFi from the market.

A.2. Open FoxFi

A.3. Set a Network Name (for the sake of this tutorial we will use "AndroidWIFI"

A.4. Set a password (for the sake of this tutorial we will use "password" Don't really use this in real world application of this setup)

A.5. Enable the Hotspot.

Section B: To the computer!

B.1. Use a laptop and connect to your hotspot.

B.2. Once connected click start and in the search box (or run box) type "cmd" and hit enter.

B.3. In the command window type "ipconfig" This will display your IP and your Default Gateway (your phones IP)

B.4. Write down your phones IP. (Likely 192.168.42.1. We will assume this for the rest of the tutorial)

B.5. Now disable your computers WIFI capability.

B.6. Hardwire your computer into your router.

Section C: Let's get into the router!

C.1. Log into your DD-WRT router.

C.2. Go to the Setup tab.

C.3. Set WAN connection Type to "Disabled"

C.4. Set Local IP Address (Under Router IP section) as "192.168.42.10"

C.5. Set subnet mask as 255.255.255.0

C.6. Set Gateway as 192.168.42.1 (Your phones IP because your phone will be your gateway)

C.7. Leave Local DNS blank.

C.8. Apply Settings.

You should now lose connection to your router.

Section D: Back to the computer!

D.1. Go to your control panel.

D.2. In the top right set "View by:" to "Small icons"

D.3. Open Network and Sharing Center

D.4. On the left click "Change adapter settings"

D.5. Right click on the network adapter you are using to connect to your router (Likely "Local Area Connection")

D.6. Select properties.

D.7. Select Internet Protocol Version 4.

D.8. Click properties.

D.9. Select "Use the following IP address"

D.10. Set your IP address as 192.168.42.11 (one above your router IP)

D.11. Set your Subnet mask as 255.255.255.0

D.12. Set your Default gateway as 192.168.42.1 (Your phone's IP)

D.13. Set your Preferred DNS server as 8.8.8.8 and Alternate as 8.8.4.4

D.14. Click Ok.

D.15. Click Close.

Section E: Back into your router!

E.1. Go back to your browser and change the URL to http://192.168.42.10 (Your routers new IP)

E.2. Go to Advanced Routing tab (under Setup Tab)

E.3. Change the Operating Mode from "Gateway" to "Router"

E.4. Click Apply Settings.

E.5. Go to the Wireless Tab.

E.6. Change Wireless Mode to "Client Bridge"

E.7. Change Network Mode to "N-Only" (Your phone should be using wireless N as tether, if not just match what it is using)

E.8. Set Wireless Network Name (SSID) to "AndroidWIFI" (Your phone's tether AP name)

E.9. Set Sensitivity Range to "0"

E.10. Leave Network Configuration as "Bridged"

E.11. Apply Settings.

E.12. Go to the Wireless Security tab.

E.13. Change Security Mode to "WPA2 Personal" (if your phone's tether setting is different, match it then)

E.14. Set WPA Algorithms to "AES" (if your phone's tether setting is different, match it then)

E.15. Set the WPA Shared Key to "password" (if your phone's tether setting is different, match it then)

E.16. Apply Settings

E.17. Go to the Security Tab

E.18. Disable SPI Firewall.

E.19. Apply Settings.

Ok now for the fun part. If your phones tether connection is not already enabled, enable it.

Wait for a few seconds, maybe 30 just to be safe.

Now try to surf the web from your computer.

If you followed my instructions to the "T" (or if I didn't mess up in my instructions :eek:) you should have internet now.

Now for any following computers you connect to your router just repeat section D but increment the IP address in step D.10 by 1. For instance your next computers IP would be 192.168.42.12.

This took me about 4 hours to figure out and write a tutorial so I hope someone enjoys it!

Later! :cool:

-LinuxFreakD

Upvote 0
You can do wireless tethering easily with root, but wired tethering I don't know. Does your laptop have a wifi card? If it does your fine. Don't use this as a permanent connection though. You will get some heavy fee's sooner or later.

I have question and that is I have Droid Razr I want to use its internet by MAc and then use it for Xbox 360. I need to know the router number to set the primary DNS number. Is there anyway to know the Router number of droid razr in Verizon wireless career.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Yes - this is possible, just follow the instructions a couple posts above from LinuxFreakD.

I am using the INCLUDED, PAID, 4G hotspot on the droid bionic.

I am using DD-WRT on a Linksys Router

-- Why did I want to do this?

Because now i have networked computers that all share the wifi hotspot connection, whereas BEFORE the computers could all share the connection BUT they weren't networked.

I had stumbled into an error and disabling the security on the hotspot (and subsequently the bridge) fixed it, it's fine because the broadcast is so small no one lives close enough to jack it anyway...

I also attached ANOTHER wireless router and amplified the signal significantly (this one has security though).

I know this probably doesn't make sense right now, but just follow the combination of instructions from LinuxFreakD AND the instructions he links too, what he forgot to mention is that you must set your computer BACK to automatically obtain IP address...

Anyway, it's a great set up... it takes two routers + droid bionic, but they are a dime a dozen on craigslist.

Any specific questions, just ask,

and giantmehdi, this will take care of YOUR problem too... you can just plug the xbox into the router or plug another wireless router in and have the xbox access that...

lol, good luck

Upvote 0
Yes - this is possible, just follow the instructions a couple posts above from LinuxFreakD.

I am using the INCLUDED, PAID, 4G hotspot on the droid bionic.

I am using DD-WRT on a Linksys Router

-- Why did I want to do this?

Because now i have networked computers that all share the wifi hotspot connection, whereas BEFORE the computers could all share the connection BUT they weren't networked.

I had stumbled into an error and disabling the security on the hotspot (and subsequently the bridge) fixed it, it's fine because the broadcast is so small no one lives close enough to jack it anyway...

I also attached ANOTHER wireless router and amplified the signal significantly (this one has security though).

I know this probably doesn't make sense right now, but just follow the combination of instructions from LinuxFreakD AND the instructions he links too, what he forgot to mention is that you must set your computer BACK to automatically obtain IP address...

Anyway, it's a great set up... it takes two routers + droid bionic, but they are a dime a dozen on craigslist.

Any specific questions, just ask,

and giantmehdi, this will take care of YOUR problem too... you can just plug the xbox into the router or plug another wireless router in and have the xbox access that...

lol, good luck

I have followed the above steps about 5 different times and cannot get my computer to recognize the network on the router once i complete section E/F of LinuxFreak post.

I've tried setting IPv4 back to automatic, static IP etc. Still nothing. Any way to test the connection to the phone through the DD-WRT ui ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones