• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it possible to use an unlocked Captivate on T-Mob with prepaid sim?

SquareBare

Jun 8, 2010
Ive heard some people say that it is not possible for an unlocked AT&T captivate to work on t-mobile because of the differences in UMTS bands.

Vibrant:

GSM
850/900/1800/1900

UMTS
2100/1700

Captivate:

GSM
850/900/1800/1900

UMTS
2100/1900/850

My question to the experts though, is if I want to use nothing but voice and SMS / MMS on a prepaid sim with T-Mobile. Can I do this with the captivate?

Seriously, the 3g means nothing to me and I have no desire to pay for it, would just like to use voice and SMS / MMS.

Will this phone be able to do that at all?

If you can get it unlocked, it should work on GSM voice just fine.

But, so far, nobody has been able to unlock it, and AT&T refuses to do until at least May 2011 (and doesn't even have the codes yet, according to some reports).

Bah, damn AT&T. Why did samsung make theirs the best looking one! Oh well, I suppose I can just make do with a vibrant, the captivate is going to be a royal pain in the butt to work with with the no sideloading and what not.

(Maybe I can get a case to cover up its i-phone wannabee appearance).

Thanks a ton for your info!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones