• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is it possible

lewisbfield

Sep 9, 2012
Ok so im thinking about rooting my s3 (i9300) , right now i just have nova launcher prime running over the top but its killing my battery and i dont like the idea of having two UI's running at once.

is it possible to root the phone and then only have nova running with no touchwizz at all. (except the smart stay features etc)

any help would be great

Ok so im thinking about rooting my s3 (i9300) , right now i just have nova launcher prime running over the top but its killing my battery and i dont like the idea of having two UI's running at once.

is it possible to root the phone and then only have nova running with no touchwizz at all. (except the smart stay features etc)

any help would be great

Touchwiz does not run when you use Nova. If anything, Nova is killing your battery and if that is the case, you need a better launcher, or simply start monitoring battery use and learn what REALLY kills your batteyr.

Upvote 0
just super helpful there mate. any real info??

Descriptive titles are better.

"is it possible"

Would have been better as:

"Is it possible to root and only run Nova?"

Then we can see what the thread is about without coming into it.

If you're not getting drain just using touchwiz, it's not going to mean you get massive drain when using a replacement launcher.

Unfortunately touchwiz home does still run when using an alternative launcher (if you go into applications manager > All > Touchwiz home, You will see "Force Stop" is available as an option). If touchwiz is in RAM that doesn't mean it's using power. However, if you have lots of widgets that update on your touchwiz homescreen, it would be worth removing them as they will still be updating so effectively you could have twice the amount of widget updates than necessary.

With root, you can freeze system apps using Titanium backup pro. I wouldn't recommend deleting it though because if you factgory reset you'll have NO launcher and that is no good.

Rooting for thios is overkill though. If Touchwiz homescreens are clear of Widgets, you will not be using any additional juice.

Step 1 - Clear your touchwiz homescreens of all widgets
Step 2 - As already mentioned, install battery monitoring software like GSAM or Better Battery Stats

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones