1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is it safe to delete unused icons from framework-res and systemUI?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by justainchoe, Apr 13, 2012.

1. justainchoe

justainchoe Well-Known Member

So.. in Broken Out Esteem 1.1's framework-res.apk there are 842 icons. I'm pretty sure they aren't all being used. For example, battery_charge_background.png is an old png that's not needed since this rom has the accurate battery mod, so is it okay if I delete it?

Also, is it safe to delete the non-hdpi folders since we never use those resolutions?

I've noticed that the systemUI.apk has some of the same png files that framework-res.apk has. It's confusing the heck out of me, and I'm wondering if it's necessary to have the png files in both folders, or can one of them be deleted? I'm extremely picky and I want things perfect so deleting files that are just sitting there will give me peace of mind.

I'll do the work to clean out those files and then upload it so that other themers can use a cleaned up version which would not only save space, but also can save time and give newbies (like me) a better overall view of the pngs.

If you can answer any of the questions above or have anything to add to this thread, please do so. Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Extreme Android User

I wouldn't delete any of them. Just because you think they're not bring used doesn't mean they're not.

Worst case scenario whatever you delete doesn't show up.
    But there's nothing really to gain from deleting them, so i wouldn't do it regardless.

justainchoe likes this.
  3. justainchoe

justainchoe Well-Known Member

Alrighty then.. Thanks.

4. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Extreme Android User

Ive always wondered too why there was so many files because I am extremely picky about organization and what not. But I tried deleting some of the battery icons out of the mdpi folder one time and my battery icon stopped working so I assumed that one way or another everything is connected and if one thing is gone than something isnt gonna work.

5. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Extreme Android User

it prolly can be done, but there are files that call those img's that would need to be edited too so they dont get called ;)

LG Esteem Forum

The LG Esteem release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews