• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it safe to purchase apps. from the market with credit cards ?

alone1492

Jan 11, 2011
Here's a dumb question, but the other day i wanted to purchase this app. on the market, but it seem to be asking awfully alot of questions and too much informations.

There's alot of informations given just to purchase a .99 cents app.
Is this some kind of scam to get our credit card numbers and information for identity theft ?

Anyone ever made a purchase and fell victim to identity theft through the market apps ?

Here's a dumb question, but the other day i wanted to purchase this app. on the market, but it seem to be asking awfully alot of questions and too much informations.

There's alot of informations given just to purchase a .99 cents app.
Is this some kind of scam to get our credit card numbers and information for identity theft ?
Not intentionally for identity theft. But if their database is breached, you're screwed. And databases get hacked and 'lost' all the time.
Yes, intentionally, to flog you ever more stuff from there on in.

I pay cash whenever I can, to avoid as many registrations as possible. If I can't pay cash I rarely buy.

Upvote 0
I feel safe with Google having my information. The way it works is that when we buy apps, the money goes to Google, then Google takes their cut and gives money to the app devs.

At no point do the app devs get access to our card information (unless their app somehow gets into the market and takes your info from your account, which I don't think is possible...hopefully). Google would never risk giving the app devs access to our information directly, seeing as if anything goes wrong, we can sue Google....

Upvote 0
What else are you going to use? Sea shells and bags of salt?

I haven't had any problems. I don't worry too much about it. I use a single card for all online purchases. I scan my statement every month looking for fraudulent purchases. If you see one, notify your card company and they will take it off. Throughout my life, I've had that happen a 2-3 times, and the card company was always easy to work with... and at no cost to myself. The biggest was from some person in South Korea who used my card number for a $360 purchase (and this wasn't even on a card I used online... ever).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones