1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support is it SD or is it emulated

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by jflint, Apr 4, 2016.

1. jflint

jflint Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2016
    I was using ES to analyze some files. When I clicked on some of the items on the list, I found that the "places" where they were "stored" had changed. For instance, one file which claimed to be in emulated storage (where I don't want it) had suddenly been "moved" to the SD card. What is going on here and how do I move them all (or at least most of them) to the SD card?

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    First thing is can you give the full path to the "sd card"? /storage/emulated/0 and /sdcard are the same thing, i.e. internal storage emulating an SD card (as are /storage/sdcard0 and /storage/emulated/legacy). The path to the actual SD card can vary a little between devices/OS versions, but something with "extsdcard" in the name is certainly the actual SD card, if you have a /storage/sdcard1 as well as /storage/sdcard0 that will most likely be the SD as well.

The problem is historical: it's not a logical setup at all, but it ensures that apps with these paths hard-coded still work on a more modern phone, and work even if you don't insert a card (or if, like a Nexus or a Galaxy S6, you don't have that option).

Mikestony, BustaLime and scary alien like this.
  3. jflint

jflint Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2016
    I went back and checked with ES. Mostly it is /storage/emulated/0. However, some files are actually /storage/SD card1/backup, and there are 5 that have something other than backup, e. g. root or Music. Is there a way to move those that say emulated to the real SD card? It's an Adata, nominally 32 GB, with 29.44 and 2.09 used. System claims 9.55 used of 11.64. It's a ZTE Z987 with unfortunately Lollipop 5.1 unrooted (but not for long if I can help it).

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    If ES can't move them then you need to use a file explorer that can request permission to write to SD. If there is a built-in file explorer then this will already have that ability, otherwise I know that X-plore will do this on unrooted Lollipop. I think I've read somewhere that ES has a problem of its own in this regard, so a different file explorer is definitely worth testing.

Incidentally, don't use ES's network features if you value your security: they have been found to copy login credentials to their server in China (e.g. here).

scary alien likes this.
  5. jflint

jflint Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2016
    Wow, it looks really powerful (and kinda SciFi). I just downloaded it and have no idea where to begin. Is there some kind of manual?

6. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    I dunno - with apps I usually just poke around settings and see what I find. ;)

But if you put one pane viewing the directory you want to move from, another viewing the directory you want to move to, select some files (click on the little ticks to select) and hit the "move" button it will move them to the directory the other pane is showing (after asking for confirmation). Or for a single file press and hold and you'll get a pop-up menu of options.

scary alien likes this.
  7. jflint

jflint Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2016
    Well, I finally figured out how to copy some files from emulated to sd1 (at least I think I did). However, I noticed that what's supposed to be the same file is larger in SD than it is emulated. Why is that? Also, space used seems to be increasing rather than decreasing, even though I sent the original files to the recycle bin.

8. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Well a recycle bin doesn't actually delete the file unless you empty it. That's my first guess (I don't use that feature myself).

9. jflint

jflint Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2016
    What happens if a file is accidentally deleted and then dumped? Is it somehow retrievable?

10. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    I assume that the purpose of the recycle bin is to allow you to recover it. The default with Android is that deleted means deleted.

If the file is on a removable card then it's easy to recover: stick the card in a card reader and use your favourite file recovery software on a computer. If it's in internal storage then you've not much chance of recovering it: since 4.0 Android has used MTP for USB connections to a computer rather than USB Mass Storage, and an MTP connection doesn't give the sort of low-level access to the drive that file recovery software needs.

11. jflint

jflint Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2016
    This is why I haven't emptied the recycling bin yet. How do we get USB mass storage back, probably rooting (which I can't do (yet))?

12. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    You don't get it back. Seriously. Sony retained it in some of their phones, but I know of no mod to add it.

13. jflint

jflint Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2016
    PLEASE let me know if you find a way. That's just ridiculous not to have something that basic and vital.

14. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Thing is I would guess this goes deep into the OS. It would certainly require root, and I am pretty certain it needs kernel support (i.e. not just an app or config file change).

My advice is to be sure before finally deleting anything, and back up important stuff (even with file recovery devices do break or get lost/stolen, so backups always matter).

#14 Hadron, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016