• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it still useful to use Greenify on newer Android versions?

Daniel Fernandes

Android Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2016
So recent Android versions (I believe Android 7.1+?) have Greenify like features built-in. Apps no longer run in the background and stay there as annoyingly as they used to, leading to better battery life without any third party apps like Greenify.

But I see that Greenify has this other interesting feature called Aggressive Doze. Here's the description of this feature:
"If this feature is enabled, your device will enter Doze Mode in minutes (instead of hours stationary normally) after the screen goes off if not charging, to improve its power-saving efforts.

Doze mode is a new power saving mechanism introduced in Android 6.0. In this mode, background behaviors of all apps (except white-listed) are strictly prohibited, until next user interaction or charging. The device will also periodically (in hours) exit doze mode briefly."

I wanted to know if Android still waits for hours before entering Doze Mode. If it does, this might be one way to get some extra battery life out of my phone.

Reactions: Mamunrrashid
I haven't used Greenify since Lollipop. I found that it didn't offer anything different when Doze started appearin
I haven't used Greenify since Lollipop. I found that it didn't offer anything different when Doze started appearing in Marshmellow.

I appreciate you input. I was wondering if what you mentioned if reference to a rooted or a non-rooted device?

Upvote 0
I haven't used Greenify since Lollipop. I found that it didn't offer anything different when Doze started appearing in Marshmellow.

It does offer some pretty useful features in Marshmallow, actually. Apps could still run in the background, and Doze Mode would actually take hours to activate (at least that's what I read about, I don't know of any way to test this on my own). Greenify fixed both of these problems.

Android 7.1+ now gives users control over which apps can run in the background, so one doesn't need Greenify for that. I just don't know if it also enters Doze Mode much faster than it used to. I'm kind of unsatisfied that my 5000 mAh phone lasts just as long as my old 3000 mAh phone...

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
It does offer some pretty useful features in Marshmallow, actually. Apps could still run in the background, and Doze Mode would actually take hours to activate (at least that's what I read about, I don't know of any way to test this on my own). Greenify fixed both of these problems.

Android 7.1+ now gives users control over which apps can run in the background, so one doesn't need Greenify for that. I just don't know if it also enters Doze Mode much faster than it used to. I'm kind of unsatisfied that my 5000 mAh phone lasts just as long as my old 3000 mAh phone...

I wasn't on Marshmallow for long so I didn't really dig deeper into all that.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
I tried it out, and yes, it does make a difference!

To test this, I noticed that Greenify offers a feature to check when the device enters doze mode. It's under debug options in agreesive doze. And it shows the results in a notification.

I tried it for a whole day with no aggressive doze and noticed that my phone entered doze mode usually in 30 minutes, sometimes hours.

I tried it again with aggressive doze enabled, and noticed that my my enters doze mode in less than 10 minutes every time so far!

I'm not sure how impactful this difference is, it might depend on how one uses their phone and other factors. But it's still something I will keep using.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones