• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it still worth getting?

codezer0

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2013
Arizona
Whelp. Been researching for a while for a phone to upgrade to from my Note 3 with its extended battery. Was at first looking at a sub-model of Lg g4 that had bands for most all the carriers, but got waylaid with a bombshell in the form of LG's policy being that they do not warranty any unlocked phones at all. Which leaves me with no options for a good, unlocked phone with removable battery. And leaves the MXP as 'it' if I still want SD storage.

So before I take the plunge, I suppose I should ask a few important things, to see if this one could be a phone that would satisfy me.
  1. How do you root this thing? First thing I did was look here for a root guide, but not seeing any is a very discouraging sight already.
  2. Assuming it can be rooted, can it tun Xposed framework?
  3. Micro or nano sim?
  4. What about nandroid backup/recovery?
  5. So, as someone that has been spoiled by measuring battery life in days with external batteries, what is one to do to make the most of a nonremovable battery?

Unlocking the bootloader does void warranty.
I don't get that personally, considering that root is pretty much required for anything really good for an Android phone.

I would definitely hope to hear from someone that was able tp successfully ise Xposed framework on this phone, before I pull the trigger on getting it.

Not really happy with the idea of $400 for an NRB phone either, but of the options available, this is the only one I can find in retail besides an iphone, and a 6S plus with enough storage is thereabout $1000. So naturally, going to need one of those enormous external batteries to use with it. Are there any that are compatible with its quick charging capabilities?

Upvote 0
Not sure on external battery pack,could probably look on Amazon and see about quick charge compatible.
This is the first phone I've bought that I like as is straight out of the box. Mostly had Carrier branded Samsung. Plan on holding off on rooting till it no longer receives updates.

Upvote 0
I have had the moto g before. It was miserable with its battery and charging. 10 hours to charge for maybe 2 hours of use. It was that bad. I barely had it a week before I couldn't take it anymore, despite being as inexpensive as it was.

One of the things that irked me in the past with motorola was how they voidee warranty to unlock the bootloader, with a qualifier about how that doesn't apply if I bought a "developers" model. Except when I try to look for it, they do not sell a dev edition moto phone anywhere. So what's the point of saying there is such an edition if they won't sell it? :mad:

Moving on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones