1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps Is it still worth it?

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by RazzleFnDazzle, Apr 22, 2011.

1. RazzleFnDazzle

RazzleFnDazzle Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 30, 2010
    So I don't know about other developers, but I'm starting to think that making apps just isn't worth it. I have a free app out on the market now with a total of 150-200 hours worth of work put into it. All of that work for 259 downloads. I don't think it is a bad app, but how much do you guys normally work on your app? Also how do you get over the hump of actually getting people to download it? I should probably note this app is free so it's not like people have to pay for it. I'm starting to think it might be too hard to create a popular app and I shouldn't even bother.

Advertisement

2. pietjuhhh1990

pietjuhhh1990 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    App/web development
    Netherlands
    what is the app?

3. Rodtheplod

Rodtheplod Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    Computer Security
    London, England
    Great question! When you launch an app you've got to undertake a sustained marketing effort in order to get the word out about your achievements.

You need to take every opportunity to make people be aware of your app. You need to create a website for your app (it's not that difficult), blog about it, do a press release (there are free services available), add links to it, etc.

The OP didn't even include the app name or a link in his signature which indicates that marketing may have taken a 'back seat'.

Try to be a bit more proactive - you may be surprised at the results :)

RTP.