1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is it true only Samsung USB cables work with Note 2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BarryGuy, Dec 19, 2012.

1. BarryGuy

BarryGuy Lurker

I had a chat session with a Samsung Tech on their web site. I explained to him that the only usb cord that I could use to connect my Note 2 to my laptop was the one I recived with the phone. He claims that only Samsung usb cords will work with the phone. True? (By te way I have Verizon)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Morgus

Morgus Member

No, not true at all. Go to Monoprice.com and order any cords you need. I am using one right now that I just used to transfer pictures from my computer to the phone. He just wants you to buy an expensive Samsung cord. My .75 cent one works great!

3. dave1812

dave1812 Android Enthusiast

I have tons of various branded cords and chargers in the house. they ALL work.

4. BarryGuy

BarryGuy Lurker

Very strange. I have many cords also but the only one that works is the Samsung.

5. Herodroid

Herodroid Well-Known Member

They are just giving you the bs cable story. Any decent cable will work.

I second buying cables from monoprice, always high quality for cheap prices.

6. dave1812

wow. I have cords from monoprice, mediabridge, Blackberry, Motorola, and one or two others. they ALL work

7. some.devil

some.devil Android Enthusiast

8. puppy

puppy Newbie

I use HTC cables with out any problems!

9. MC_57

MC_57 Newbie

Of the 5 or 6 I've tried, I've only found one that did not work. The one that did not work was bought as part of a package with others including a car charger and all the others work. I bought the package from newegg for like 5 bucks.

10. prerunnerseth

prerunnerseth Android Enthusiast

Charging my GN2 here at work with a motorola cable and charger. Have used the same moto cable to connect it to my computer and transfer files.

11. Gti fly

Gti fly Well-Known Member

Maybe the 'other' cables you've been using are the lesser charging only cables?? Look inside the USB slot, charging only cables seem to have less contact patches???

12. jim8193

jim8193 Newbie

Every cable that worked on my Atrix4G, works fine on the Galaxy Note2 ...
    ... USB Data, AC Charger, Car Charger, ect... --- was sure nice not to have buy new cables for the Note2 ... :cool:

13. 1slo_CR

1slo_CR Newbie

There are actually HD usb cables. I know my GoPro requires an HD micro usb..

14. nemesys06

nemesys06 Well-Known Member

Just about any other micro usb cable will work but be very careful, especially when it comes to chargers. I have used cheap of brand chargers before and they can fry your phone. Even some of the more expensive ones can do the same. Though any brand should work I prefer to stick with oem. Had my Galaxy s2 get fried using an aftermarket charger cause I was cheap and I paid the price.

15. marlbororman

marlbororman Member

i use my s1 charger upstairs note 2 charger downstairs. slower charge rate over night dont bother me. as for usb leads, all the ones i have appear to work ok

16. bonerp

bonerp Android Expert

I bought a longer usb cable from ebay and it would not charge the device properly/took 20 hours to get to 50%. I exchanged it for 2 more and they all did this. They were notably thinner than the samsung cable.
    However an old Nokia cable does work.
    Its down to quality and almost certainly how long they are.

I've not experienced this before with other phones including the note 2 and s2 so put it down to the higher capacity charging unit.

17. dave1812

why use ebay?? monoprice is dirt cheap. delivery for me in san jose is one day.

lcneed likes this.
  18. mormandy3

mormandy3 Newbie

Not all cables work. Have one at my desk right now that does not work. If the cable came as part of a cheap charging kit, it won't have all of the connections for data. A TRUE micro usb cable will always work, it's an industry standard.

19. lcneed

lcneed Android Enthusiast

OMG! I have never heard of monoprice. So I was thinking, even though their price is cheaper than ebay, their shipping would put it over ebay. Sure enough, with shipping, it is over ebay's price. But then.. I noticed... what is this.. .$0.00 for Will Call pickup. Okay so where is this monoprice... right in my city! I drove by it just about everyday. :p Guess where I will be shopping for cables from now on? :D

20. drexappeal

drexappeal Extreme Android User

Was about to say that Monoprice is based in SoCal. Unfortunately, a little too far from me, but still a great website to get cables/connections for very good prices. And even if you're in SoCal and have the cables shipped, still very reasonable and fast too.

21. dave1812

to spread out shipping charges, I always order a bunch of cables. last time, I ordered 7.

22. MiXoLoGiSt

MiXoLoGiSt Well-Known Member

Im about a 30 minute drive from Monoprice and its still cheaper for me to have them ship the cables to me than for me to go get them. I would be looking at like $25 in gas to go pick them up alone.

Edit: just got 6 cables w/ Overnight shipping for $12.67 total. Less for cables and shipping than gas would have cost me alone.

The cables I bought are:

2 6ft USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core (Gold Plated)

1 10ft USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/28AWG Cable

1 6ft USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/28AWG Cable

1 3ft USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/28AWG Cable

1 10ft USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core (Gold Plated)

23. LYTE

LYTE Newbie

24. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

I think it depends on what you mean by "work".
    I have several cables from previous phones, but only the Samsung one works for me for data transfer, they all work for charging.

25. drexappeal

drexappeal Extreme Android User

Interesting. I was still able to even use the microUSB for my Logitech remotes to transfer data onto both of my Note 2's.

That said, I have heard of people having problems with data transfer when using random microUSB chords that are "charge only." Apparently, from what some have reported, the older microUSB's were not set up for data transfer. I don't know the details to explain why, but I know that there have been some reporting that issue.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 3100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews