1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is it true?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by aafreen, Apr 17, 2012.

1. aafreen

aafreen Newbie

I have just recently come in to the Droid 1. It's a newer, better phone than the LG Ally I've had for almost 2 years. I love how the dev community helps us keep devices in use, extending life-cycles through new Roms. I have been through 4 or 5 Roms now (CM7, SteelDroid, something almost stock 2.3 from Pete-someone-or-other...) and a few kernels. Within a week.

Is it true that there is a hardware limitation that prevents us from tethering through wifi in infrastructure mode? I see so many posts of roms from 1-2 years ago saying they include a hack or new kernel to fix it... but no dice.

Am I chasing the wind, or have I totally missed it? Is there any rom/kernel/hack that allows the Droid 1/og/sholes to braodcast a wifi signal in infrastructure (not ad-hoc)?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Most posts I read said you could tether through the WiFi (Using your phone service CDMA data account), but I never actually did this, as I never had a use for it.

If you're with VZW, however, they began to crack down on heavy users in order to force them to pay for an additional mobile data package for using with hotspots.

aafreen likes this.
  3. aafreen

aafreen Newbie

Yes, one can use wifi tethering, but it seems to only (or by default) support ad-hoc. Some devices (the Fire for instance) will not connect to ad-hocs. I need infrastructure.

It's not a VZW issue. At barely 4GB/mo I'm hardly a heavy. Yesterday I could tether my Fire to my Ally, today I can't tether my Fire to my OG Droid, and it's because it broadcasts ad-hoc only.

4. johnlgalt

According to this video - Motorola Droid - How to Wifi Tether your DROID! Wireless Tethering - YouTube - it is not ad-hoc only, but it requires an app (Wireless Tether for Root Users) that requires the phone to be rooted.

The video has a lot of fluff, but the 2:11 mark talks about the app itself (using some other app to install it, which I never used on my DROID) and about 3:20 it starts talking about settings, including adding WEP security, adding / renaming the SSID, etc.

I'm not 100% sure, but that would not be ad-hoc any longer if you are broadcasting an SSID and able to use WEP, correct?

5. aafreen

aafreen Newbie

I don't think you're the least bit sure about Wifi Tethering for Android or wireless networking in general. Simply, yes, an ad-hoc signal broadcasts an SSID and can use WEP. SSID and ad-hoc are not mutually exclusive.

This video in no way says anything about ad-hoc vs infrastructure. Ad-hoc is the default mode the OG Droid broadcasts in, I want to know if anyone has been able to get it to broadcast in infrastructure mode.

7:05 of this video, "I tried to connecting another Droid to this and I could never do it... call me a dumb ass..." This guy doesn't know what he's doing either, he's simply showing an app he's new to. Probably has no idea how to edit a build.prop (which I suspect is necessary, and I think one needs a new driver.)

This is thread aging now, so I likely won't get an answer. but if anyone has had experience modding the Droid 1 to broadcast in infrastructure mode, or replacing the wifi antenna/chip driver, please chime in.

6. aafreen

aafreen Newbie

Maybe I didn't explain that I know all about the standard apps used to tether. I know about pdaNet and Wireless Tether for Android Users (root). I am rooted, I use custom ROMs, I'm not new to Android, just the Droid 1, and I am not looking for a quick fix.

I'm hoping to hear from an actual developer who is familiar with the Droid1 enough to address this issue on a code level, not settings in an app. I don't mind getting a little dirty under the ADB, if someone can point me in the right direction.

No disrespect to johnlgalt, I see you've been with AF for a while. I just need a more knowledgeable user to offer something up.

7. johnlgalt

None taken. It's specifically why I wrote about not being sure.

Hope some can answer your question more reliably.

8. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

There is a hardware limitation within the A855 that prevents true infrastructure mode in the WiFi chip. No kernel or rom or any combination of the above can change that. It is the design of the WiFi chip in the phone.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews