1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is it unlikely that a phone bought from craiglist would come with malware?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by GreenAce92, Jan 28, 2016.

1. GreenAce92

GreenAce92 Lurker

I'm concerned... I may have factory reset the phone but it could have like a rootkit, or something like that where it remains on the phone.

Has to be flashed a new image or whatever, I'm not sure

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. GreenAce92

GreenAce92 Lurker

Nexus 4, I mean I bought it from a excuse the cliche "average woman" hahaha what does that mean... it looked more like a phone insurance scam but whatever... I wanted it for Google Cardboard, I just thought about it months later like "Oh shi... maybe there's malware in this thing."

3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

If the previous owner was careless and ignorant they might have got it infected with a root kit malware without realising. You don't know the history so it's impossible to rule anything in or out. Though devices used in insurance scams are usually blacklisted soon after, so if you suspected such a scam my advice would have been to stay away (quite apart from legal or moral reasons for doing so).

So, do you have a concrete reason for suspecting an infection? If you want to be certain there is nothing then flashing a new factory image is the way to be sure.

4. GreenAce92

GreenAce92 Lurker

thanks for the tip, I don't know she looked like a regular lower-middle class or middle class blonde white lady which is making me sound ignorant so I would think "No... no problems here." I was just suddenly paranoid and was like "Oh... I did buy this phone from a stranger."

5. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

if it was never rooted... then doing a factory reset... would be good. right?

or some nexus phones are fully rooted from the start???