• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it worth switching to the Hero?

musikat

May 17, 2010
I have a Samsung Moment, and have for about a week. I have to get to a Sprint service center to do the 2.1 upgrade (because my Windows 7 computer doesn't recognize my phone!) but in the meantime I am weighing my options since I am still in the 30-day window.

Here is what I like about my moment:

Keyboard (basically the entire reason I went with it in the first place)
android market
all the "smart" features

Here is what I DON'T like (and hope the upgrade will fix but if it doesn't might make me switch):

battery life (It is down to 80% within 1/2 hour of unplugging it off the charger after all night charging. Today it was at 15% with moderate use by 2:00. It is still going but gets to 15 very quickly)

It doesn't play well with my computer as noted above

It is heavy

It gets very hot sometimes when I am using it, particularly while browsing

The camera doesn't have zoom (although it does in 2.1 and I could always buy a different software, so this is not a make or break).

Sooo.... my question is, are these things BETTER on the Hero? How is the battery life, generally? Does it sync with Windows 7? Are there other quirks on the Hero I should know about besides the ones I mentioned (i.e. would I be trading in one set of issues for another)?

And the big one for me is the touch keyboard. How hard is it to use/get used to? I tried it in the store and found it to be extremely hard to use. I am not a texter. I use my keyboard for inputting information, for writing and responding to emails and for posting on message boards. For those purposes I have found the Moment to be great and I am afraid of the lack of keyboard on the Hero. That said, it is a nice looking phone, a lot lighter and more stylish.

Thoughts??

Everyone I know that has a Moment wishes they would have taken it back and got the Hero instead. Is the Hero issue free, NO, but it is twice the phone of the Moment, in my opinion. Good luck on your choice.

Side note, if you want to root, get the Hero, there is virtually no dev support for the moment.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I love my Hero. The battery lasts me from 7am until I got to bed at night and I use my phone moderately. Lot's of texts, some video, some internet. As for the keyboard, I thought I would hate it, but it turns out you get used to it pretty quickly. I say return the Moment, get the Hero. If you don't like the Hero, trade it for an Evo when it comes out since you'll be in your 30 days. :)

Upvote 0
The battery will last as long as you set it too.

The more things you have checking for updates (Email, Weather, Anything that uses GPS) and the more things you have running in the background will tear up your battery.

I have my Emails set to update once a day, and my weather only updates when I click on it.

My battery lasts a good 14 hours before I need to charge it.

Also, putting the phone in Airplane mode when you are in weak/no service will save your battery.

As for the touch keyboard, I was scared to go touch at first too. I went from a Lotus to the Hero. But after installing Swype, I would never go back to any other keyboard willingly. Swype is just amazing.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I love my Hero. The battery lasts me from 7am until I got to bed at night and I use my phone moderately. Lot's of texts, some video, some internet. As for the keyboard, I thought I would hate it, but it turns out you get used to it pretty quickly. I say return the Moment, get the Hero. If you don't like the Hero, trade it for an Evo when it comes out since you'll be in your 30 days. :)

You can only trade it out once within the 30 days, thats what they told me when I traded my Pre for the hero.

If june 4th rolls around and you are still within yoru 30 days, I would check to see if you could trade it for the EVO. I love the hero but it does have some issues.

Upvote 0
I just got rid of my Moment for the Hero and couldnt be happier. Even though the Hero has a smaller processor than the moment, its a hell of alot snappier. The moment battery is crap, the Hero lasts me all day and then some using the same apps and settings. I thought the keyboard would be hard to use but Im typing just as fast on the virtual keyboard as I was the physical keyboard.

Now as for the EVO, if your hoping to get a full day out of the battery good luck.

Upvote 0
CPU wise the Hero is sufficient as long as you don't want to play any 3D games. Having owned both I can attest to the limitations of the 528Mhz processor with Android 2.1 on it.

I think you'd be well served by trying Android 2.1 on your Moment first, then if you aren't satisfied, get the Evo on 6/4. Don't bother with the Hero if you are within your 30 days.

I just ditched Sprint so I could get a decent Android phone for less than $450, now I have a screaming fast OC'd Moto Droid which has a physical keyboard without being a brick (like the Moment).

-Mike

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones