• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is it worth updating?

Robban

Lurker
Oct 15, 2010
I recently tried to update my galaxy s to 2.2 but for some reason it failed and I was unable to reset the phone. So I sent it in for repair and got it back today. Unfortunately with version 2.1-update1.

So my question to you guys who have version 2.2 is simply if it is worth the risk to try and update the phone again?

Secondly, if I decide to go for it again is there anything I can do to avoid the same problem? I'm of course thinking about updating it on another computer but is there anything else I can do?

Go to windows start > run > and type "regedit"

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Samsung/Kies/DeviceDB/

You will probably see a bunch of numbered keys (they look like folders) Find the key/folder that has strings that match your current firmware. So if you are on JPK look for that in the keys. If you have more than one galaxy S (it can happen) then match the imei with the phone you want to upgrade.

Change the following values so they look like this:

"SoftwareRevision"="I9000XXJF3/I9000SWC/I9000XXJF3/I9000XXJF3"
"ProductCode"="GT-I9000HKDXEE"
"HIDSWVER"="I9000XXJF3/I9000SWC/I9000XXJF3/I9000XXJF3"

but samsung have put a block on it now

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones