• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

is it worth waiting?

sidkapur30

Nov 28, 2008
Ok as expected the HTC G1 wont be coming to India before January, and for no less that Rs. 25,000 = $480....
So is going in for an unlocked one a viable option... i've cheackedout a few options at ebay and they are available for arnd $480 itself but is it worth going in for them... ok yes i despirately want one, i've practically read every post /review/opinion on HTC G1 (i spend hours on it every day) and my browser history is a testament to it..

Buying an unlocked one means no automatic updates (will have to do it manually, and will not be country specific), no application market and many functions will not work... and of course my infamous fear/phobia, buying something online that always has a possibility of working or not!! :(

little confused, what would you guys suggest..

thanks
Sid

With a little effort and roughly the same price, you can pick up a developer phone straight from Google. At least with that you know it will work when it arrives, and it will come unlocked. But to be perfectly honest, it's only a matter of time before the Android OS becomes available on a grip of phones, some of which will be country specific. Don't get too worked up over the G1, it's only nice feature is that it runs Android. If this thing had Windows Mobile it would have died out a month ago.

Buying the dev phone did strike me but am a little unsure as to the difference between the normal and Dev phone... did read a few articles on it but either they pointed out no differences or if they did pointout the differences, it was all tech. jargon.... something i do not understand....
:(

Upvote 0
In your situation, the only reason you would need a dev phone is to gain immediate access to an unlocked G1 without the worries of paying for an unlock code.

Yes that is the case but are there any drawbacks of having a Dev phone and not a HTC G1.... is there something that the Dev phone lacks compared to the G1. tried googling it, here's what i got.. can someone explain what it really means

"Unlike the bootloader on retail devices, the bootloader on the Android Dev Phone 1 does not enforce signed system images,"

and something that said that it doesnot have a customer support :( since it's ment for developers

Cheers
Siddharth

Upvote 0
swizz WOW, no other comment, except suppressed memory lol, but yea your choice if your scarred of all the manuel update and your not to into messing around with the phone then wait, but if you want it know and you cant wait and want to learn do do a few things with your phone go for the dev phone, plus its looks better then the original

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones