1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is it worthwhile to switch to Superuser SU?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ral, Aug 16, 2012.

1. ral

ral Android Expert

I was not sure where to post this. Is it worthwhile to switch from Superuser to Superuser SU, or should I just stick to what the ROM developer bundles?

Was thinking about this because I have been having some issues with Andrev_oc.It does not want to keep my undervolt settings after a reboot. After I undervolt, and select make perm, it Superuser keeps continuously granting it permission, maybe three or four times.The undervolt settings are stable if I apply them temporarily.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

i think it is worth switching to it. ive used it to root various stock ICS builds,and flashed it overtop of some semi-functional bundled superusers in custom roms.

i dont know if it will fix your particular issue,but IMO it is better than the standard superuser. ive used it on GB and ICS

D-U-R-X likes this.
  3. ral

ral Android Expert

I don't suppose you could guide me through the process :)

4. scotty85

why certainly :)

download it from this thread: [16.07.2012] SuperSU v0.94 - xda-developers (the link that says CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip)

-put it on your sd card
    -boot to recovery
    -wipe cache/dalvik
    -flash the .zip :)

D-U-R-X and ral like this.
  5. ral

ral Android Expert

I would have missed this step.

Thanks.

6. ral

ral Android Expert

Everything seems fine. Superuser app was still there with no option to unlnstall, so I "Unistalled Updates" it is now gone :)

7. ral

ral Android Expert

I was thinking the best way to do this might be to flash it in with every new ROM I install.

8. scotty85

i dont see any prollems with that :) i always switch to it if the rom im using doesnt include it. seems to to work fine on GB as well.

ral likes this.
  9. ral

ral Android Expert

I just realized that when I update Super user I effectively change it from a /system/app to a /data app. Is this just fine as is or should I try to convert it into a system app again?

From the reading I did it seems that the benefit of this is to save on space since I now have SuperSu in both /system/data (the old one) and /data (the new one).

TIA

10. scotty85

how are you updating it? thru the market? or flashing a new .zip file?

the .zip files are set up to install the app in system/app and the binary into system/xbin

if you download or update it from the market,that may be why its putting it into data/app,since thats where user installed apps are typically located.

im off to work at the moment,but later ill flash a newer zip(v95) overtop of the one on my resound(v94) and verify what happens :)

to asnwer the other question,i would prolly move it to system/app. thebiggest disadvantage i can thing of to leaving it data/app,is that if you do a factory data reset,it will disappear :eek: tho you can always reflash it to get it back,but it would be a minor inconvenience.

11. ral

ral Android Expert

Updated from the market...

Found a 0.96 zip. Wil flash it and see what happens :)

12. ral

ral Android Expert

Pretty uneventful. Uninstalled updates from the app manager,to clean up SuperSU from /data/app and than flashed 0.96 via 4Ext. Everything fine.

(I finally understand why some apps allow you to uninstall them and others allow you only to uninstall updates)

OT: I was having problems with the Daemon Controller which I installed to control virtuous_oc. Acting buggy, usually displaying blank windows for the entries for governor and when I close and reopen the app it displays a different governor from the one I am using. This was a system in ARHD where it was mated to the same virtuous_oc daemon. So I used Titanium Backup to convert it to a system app. Did this 3 hours ago. Now its working flawlessly.

scotty85 likes this.

HTC Desire HD Forum

The HTC Desire HD release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews