• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Is Java the main building block?

Ambush

Nov 10, 2009
I'm interested in becoming a developer for the android platform. I'm currently a senior in high school so I don't have the chance quite yet to take classes for programming (at least where I live anyways). So I've taken matters into my own hands and have been reading Java books. My question is... once I get a good enough understanding of Java how difficult is it to cross over and use it to make android apps? Is it the exact same as I'm programming with it now? Or do I need to be exposing myself to other factors while i'm learning it to actually make it work with android? Hope this makes sense lol :D

Its all java. You will most likely use xml to create your layouts as that is the easiest way and the plugin for eclipse makes it so simple. But other then that, if you have a good understanding of java programming for android is no problem. You will download the SDK and it has all the libraries you need for creating android apps.

I have all the SDKs installed on my computer. I've actually made a simple java program that has a string array of all the restaurants in my town and when run it spits out a random one. I just have no idea how to work it in eclipse to make it so a button runs the program and spits out a random restaurant.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones