1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Accessories Is kickstand leather case scratching Droid X?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by brucefan42, Oct 4, 2010.

1. brucefan42

brucefan42 Lurker

Sep 16, 2010
    I just got a replacement X because of a mic issue and I was surprised to find that my old Droid X had several scratches and worn areas on the metal case that frames the screen. My X had been (safely, I thought) wrapped in the leather case sold by Verizon ever since I bought it. Is anyone else having this issue with the case? I am reluctant to put the case on my new (refurbished) X which is in "like new" condition.

Advertisement

2. _Aardvark

_Aardvark Android Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2010
    NJ
    I recall someone else having this same problem a day or two after the Droid X launch with the leather case. Put me off getting one right away.

3. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert

May 14, 2010
    Most cases are capable of scratching your phone. It's very difficult to design a case that won't let ANYTHING into the case, and if anything gets in there, it will scratch/rub the phone. If the case has some movement on the phone (common with leather cases), it'll scratch/rub.

The ideal case would be a hard plastic shell with close tolerances that would have only a couple contact points with the phone, and some bumpers on the inside that hold the case off of the phone.

I run my phone naked.

4. brandonmg99

brandonmg99 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Student, Medical Supply Sales
    Bloomington, IN
    I have it and its pretty scratched up on the edges. Makes me mad cuz I bought it for protection and its only scratching it up. If it didn't stay together so well when I drop it I would consider it a waste of money

5. Napalm

Napalm Android Expert

Jul 28, 2010
    Aircraft Engineer
    Memphis, TN
    does yours still have clear tape on the inside. Do you have a screen protector?

I take mine apart occasionally (weekly maybe) to clean it from pocket lint and the like. yes I carry my phone in my pocket when I walk places and such.

I also just like to clean it occasionally as I use it caseless from time to time.

Great catch and point though, as the top of the case doesn't hav protective film and is a bit rough on the edges.

6. brucefan42

brucefan42 Lurker

Sep 16, 2010
    Yes. I still have the clear tape on the inside. I wasn't sure if that was suppose to be removed or not. As it turns out, I haven't been using the case since I got the replacement and it is flawless after a couple of weeks in my pocket.

7. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    I have no scratches.

8. brandonmg99

brandonmg99 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Student, Medical Supply Sales
    Bloomington, IN
    mine broke last week. the clip on the bottom doesnt latch anymore. i used to love how well it all locked. probably because ive taken it off so many times to do battery pulls. i cant leave it alone for more than a day and im still new to all of this rooting stuff.