1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is KK5 following my every move?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lavellep, Dec 21, 2011.

1. lavellep

lavellep Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I updated my FW to the Frankenstein KK5 last week as was on 2.3.3 so thought 2.3.6 would be better. I'd also read that battery life is vastly improved.

(Incidentally, I've noticed very little change in battery life and only a few minor cosmetic tweaks.)

Anyway, one thing that alarms me is I periodically see in the notifications bar that my phone is looking for a GPS signal on its own. This is without me launching a GPS app or indeed having any running. It flashes, looks for a lock for about 15 secs, then goes away. I don't know if it does this at other times when the display is off too.

Is this something that people are aware of and if so, what is it? As it's not an official build, seeing something maybe trying to track me does raise my eyebrows slightly.

Thanks all.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. skimminstones

skimminstones Android Enthusiast

Have you got location services turned on in Google homepage?

3. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

Don't think you need to be paranoid. Mine doesn't do this.

4. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

That's hardly going to fill him with confidence Syd!
    :D

Do you have a weather widget on one of your homescreens?
    It might be this trying to update your location and get the weather forecast.

Sydney99 likes this.
  5. WilfMoralee

WilfMoralee Well-Known Member

why even have GPS enabled if not in use? disable whenever not needed, and problem is solved!

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews