• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Lollipop Coming to Verizon Moto X?

I've seen no status from Motorola or Verizon that says what the holdup is for the verizon version - or even that it is in carrier testing at this point. Rather than point a finger at Verizon, is it not conceivable that it failed testing and Motorola is trying to fix it? Who does it hurt to avoid updating status on this? (I say it hurts Motorola. I think they'll lose at least a few customers over this - advanced users who care about updates - and we're the ones who recommend phones to less technically sophisticated friends.)

The att version was stopped because of contact sync issues, and because preprogrammed att phone numbers were not showing up. That status update was from more than two weeks ago. No word since then. Have they fixed it? Is it back in carrier testing?

I don't want a bad update either, but why they can't be more transparent about status of updates is something I'll never understand. It's not like it's some great competitive secret that Samsung, htc and LG just can't know about.

I tend to find this questionable, at best. Sure, the 5.1 update is working fine with the retail version of the phone on AT&T, but Motorola just can't get it to work for the AT&T branded version (where the only real difference is that the phone is locked to AT&T and comes with bloatware).

Sure, it could be different on the Verizon version but still, with the update working on the retail version of the phone for just short of two months now, I find it questionable that it is Motorola holding up the updates on either AT&T or Verizon.

Upvote 0
Considering that the verizon version of the 2014 Moto X was the first to get Lollipop - even before the unlocked version! - and the verizon 2013 Moto X version was the first carrier model to get KitKat, I find it as conceivable as not that Verizon holds up nothing AS LONG AS IT PASSES THEIR TESTING.

My point remains - I don't care who's responsible, just tell me what's going on. 9 months along and I think we deserve more answers.

Upvote 0
I've had mine almost two weeks. At first I loved it. Now, I hate it my phone is just plain sluggish. Unlocking the screen takes 4-5 seconds; My taps aren't registered as they're entered. The keyboard seems responsive but not the lock screen for some reason.

I dumped some RAM hungry apps (Facebook, Messenger, and Twitter) but don't know what else to do aside from that. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
As the instructions say ...

4. From the "No Command" screen (Android figure lying on his back), press and hold the Power button then press and release the Volume Up button to display the menu options.

5. Select "wipe cache partition".

The Wipe Cache Portion will solve your king of problem 99% of the time.

The Factory Data Reset will do a Wipe Cache Partition and delete everything you added to the phone. You get to it from the same menu you are asking about.

... Thom

Reactions: Big Poppa
Upvote 0
As the instructions say ...

4. From the "No Command" screen (Android figure lying on his back), press and hold the Power button then press and release the Volume Up button to display the menu options.

5. Select "wipe cache partition".

The Wipe Cache Portion will solve your king of problem 99% of the time.

The Factory Data Reset will do a Wipe Cache Partition and delete everything you added to the phone. You get to it from the same menu you are asking about.

... Thom
My bad didnt' read all of the directions. I should've just RTFM'ed the whole thing. :)

Upvote 0
Verizon bungled the update to 5.1. WiFi kept randomly dropping to the point where I'd have to toggle WiFi on and off several times per day, apps kept freezing and/or crashing, so I had a good excuse to buy another phone. :D

I bought a Galaxy S5 on Straight Talk. No way was I going to buy another phone through Verizon and reward them for pushing a shitty update which is probably what they wanted everyone to do anyhow.

So far I love the phone. I'm not sure what to do with the Moto X though to be honest. Is it worth much to sell it? If it's only gonna be $30-$40 I'll just keep it around as a spare.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones