1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is my Bionic fixable?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by PenalColony, Aug 17, 2012.

1. PenalColony

PenalColony Lurker

Hey guys, forum newbie here.

Here's the situation:

Over the past 3 months or so, my rooted Bionic would occasionally reboot itself at random times. Seemed to happen far more often once I put an extended battery in it.

Once or twice, I could not physically turn it back on. I would get a white light (sometimes blinking, sometimes not) when plugged in via USB. Oddly, the only way it seemed to want to reboot itself was when I plugged it into the car dock. All of this was a minor annoyance at worst.

So, about a week ago, I noticed my nightly Titanium Backup schedule wasn't running correctly. I opened the app and it didn't load correctly, just a blank screen (at this point, the LCD display WAS still on). So I powered down with the power button menu. And that's all she wrote, I have not been able to turn the thing back on in 5 days.

Additional info of note:
    -White LED sometimes still comes on when I plug in with USB. It's hugely inconsistent.

-I have three batteries (two standard, one extended) and none of them will hold a charge now, even with an external charger.

-I sent away for a Motorola programming cable, and the phone does not respond AT ALL. Running windows 7 64bit, and when I connect the phone, all it does is make "USB connect/disconnect" toggling sounds for about 40 seconds and stops. Device is clearly not recognized, the computer is calling it a OMAP4430 device, but I have had no luck installing the correct drivers for it yet.

Any advice? I would rather not turn in my phone if it can be fixed, since it is rooted and I'm worried about the aftermath if it's discovered. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member

PenalColony likes this.
  3. PenalColony

PenalColony Lurker

Thanks! I will keep you updated on the results. I may need a bit of hand-holding on this as well.

4. PenalColony

PenalColony Lurker

Dumb question here: I can't flash anything to the phone if I can't get it into fastboot, correct? This is the major obstacle at the moment. I bought the factory cable hoping it would bypass any power issues, but the computer will not recognize the device. Anybody have any resources as to what drivers I might need for that?

5. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member

sorry busy day yesterday. How did you make out?

6. PenalColony

PenalColony Lurker

No good, it's dead. I bit the bullet and got a replacement under warranty. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the techs won't be able to power it up, or at least reset/scrap it before it's found to be rooted.

Thanks so much for your help!

Motorola Droid Bionic Forum

The Motorola Droid Bionic release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4430 processor, and 1735mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews