• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is my Captivate's in a "Mortal Combat" with One Click Lag Fix (OCLF)?

Okay-66

Dec 9, 2010
My Captivate is truly wrestling with One Click Lag Fix. I lit up with the idea to 'turbo-charge' my Captivate with Froyo 2.2. After installation, I may have some nagging doubts.

After installing the Ryanza's One Click Lag Fix (OCLF) software, my Captivate's internal memory dropped from 1.55 GB to 550 MB. I did notice some enhancements in the speed, but the sharp drop in internal memory may adversely affect some programs. The questions are?
- Can i maintain OCLF but recover my internal memories?
- Is there a potential for catastrophic failure?
- What is the best course of action - uninstall or just enjoy as is with OCLF?

How do people see this tool? What is it doing to my Captivate? is there a similar tool I can use to speed up my Captivate without such hidden snares?

OCLF is an old method for reducing lag. It only places a ghost file system on top of the existing one, which is why you see so much less memory. Its all still there but underneath. New custom roms and kernels have the latest method built in which converts to an EXT4 file system on all partitions. I dont know what software you are running but supposedly the speedmod kernel on xda works on all 2.2 roms. Kernels are a snap to flash now with neldar's SGS kernel flashing app in the market.

Reactions: Okay-66
Upvote 0
Most people don't use OCLF anymore. It's pretty old and outdated, and the method it uses to address the lag issue is dirty and dangerous (it's extremely easy to corrupt your filesystem with its technique). The people who are up for hacking up their phone like that have all moved onto 2.2 custom ROMs at this point, pretty much every single one of which has a better lag solution built-in.

You certainly don't want to be apply OCLF to one of those. OCLF was a tool back when custom ROMs were in their infancy and people were desperate for a lagfix that could be applied to stock 2.1 with the stock kernel. Those days are long gone.

Upvote 0
OCLF is an old method for reducing lag. It only places a ghost file system on top of the existing one, which is why you see so much less memory. Its all still there but underneath. New custom roms and kernels have the latest method built in which converts to an EXT4 file system on all partitions. I dont know what software you are running but supposedly the speedmod kernel on xda works on all 2.2 roms. Kernels are a snap to flash now with neldar's SGS kernel flashing app in the market.

Thanks and much appreciated. Is there a specific application i could get off the Android market?

Upvote 0
I would flash to a custom ROM like Serendipity or Cognition. I've had both ROMs and no lag problems. It's not as easy as downloading an app though. It sounds like you're looking for a quick fix though, not sure there is one. I haven't tried to do the lag fix, I immediately went to a custom ROM when I got my Captivate.

Both Cog (Voodoo Lagfix) and Serendipity (Enhanced version of sztupy's Universal Lagfix) have a lag fix included in their kernels.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones