• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

is my desire unlocked

My girlfriend got her Desire from Carphone Warehouse and she's on O2 UK. I checked last night but there was no update available. Will O2 be shipping Android 2.2 out or is it HTC? If it's the latter, when will the update be pushed out?

This is also relevant for me as I'm getting a Desire next Friday and want to know if I get the phone through Carphone Warehouse, am I likely to get updates sooner than I would through Orange UK?

Cheers.

Upvote 0
it all depends on whether the phone is branded or not. if it is branded, then you will have to wait until the carrier decides to release 2.2, (t-mobile is apparently releasing it in september.)

if you get the desire through carphonewarehouse and it is unbranded, compared to a branded orange desire, then yes, you should get the update soon. but thats provided that it is unbranded.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
it would have an orange start up, and the software release keys will be different iirc.. please somebody correct me if im wrong..

orange heavily brand their phones, so im not sure whether it makes a difference if you're getting it through carphonewarehouse or not.. you could always ask them before you get it and if they lie to you, make some noise about it? :p

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Yep, downloading Froyo now on my girlfriend's Carphone Warehouse-bought O2 UK Desire. Did a manual check for updates.

I take it that when Android 3.0 ships, that will not be back-ported to existing handsets? Or is there little information available on it at present?

Edit: 90MB download for the interested.

Upvote 0
Yep, downloading Froyo now on my girlfriend's Carphone Warehouse-bought O2 UK Desire. Did a manual check for updates.

I take it that when Android 3.0 ships, that will not be back-ported to existing handsets? Or is there little information available on it at present?

Edit: 90MB download for the interested.

According to the minimum specs the desire can run gingerbread, but i can't see HTC doing a version for the desire.
Gingerbread will more than likely be available to anyone with a rooted phone, with adequate specs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones