1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Is my Eris on?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Busbar, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Busbar

Busbar Active Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Dumb question, but one that is annoying... Here's my oft-repeated scenario... I'm in a situation where it would be embarrassing if my phone were to ring (usually I simply turn it off), except I forgot to check whether I had turned the Eris off before I arrived. So I discreetly pull out the phone to see if it's on... BUT... when I hit the wake-up button to mute the phone, I find that it was off all along, and now I've just booted it on! YIKES!

In the "old days" I only had to flip the cover on my razor to see if it was operating or not... Is there a simple way to see if the Eris is on/sleeping without inadvertently turning it on when it is off? I hate this phone sometimes.

Advertisement

2. porky101

porky101 Well-Known Member

i do not think so, as far as I know, the power button is the only unlock button...maybe if you dont push it down, like just VERY quickly tap it........

3. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    California
    I think the only way is to connect it to your charger, if the screen turns on, then it is on, if it doesn't turn on, then it is off.

4. porky101

porky101 Well-Known Member

thats true, but i think he meant if your not around somewhere where you can plug your device in

5. Shnuddy

Shnuddy Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Why don't you just put the phone on silent or in airplane mode? It will serve the same purpose and if you accidentally hit the button it won't matter. Just hold down the end button and select silent mode or airplane mode instead of power off. Or put the widgets on your home screen.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

6. willdogs

willdogs Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Pull of back cover and pop out the sd card.

If the phone is off, your screen won't come on.

If Your phone is on, the screen will come on and say "SD Card Unexpectedly removed" on the notification area.

Not the best way to do it, but it is an alternative I guess.

7. funkyfender

funkyfender Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Retail
    Greensburg, PA
    I also suggest this.

8. ThorSkaagi

ThorSkaagi Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Or, if you find out your phone was off and it is starting up, why not just do a battery pull?

9. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

May 23, 2010
    I typed out a 30 line response to the didiculousness...... instead I decided to smile and say good luck with this :)

10. Busbar

Busbar Active Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Ahhh... a slow day to be sure... OK, I'll give airplane mode another try. At 1.5 I had to pull the battery to get it out of Airplane mode. That suked.

11. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    As long as your phone is working properly, you shouldn't have to anymore. Actually, its somewhat recommended after a reboot since its a workaround for the Cell Standby 50% bug.

12. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Texas
    In my case, the "Send" button brings the phone from sleep mode as well as the "Power/End" key. So, when the phone is powered off, the "Send" key does nothing.

13. Tooleman694

Tooleman694 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2010
    yup hit the send button..

14. Shnuddy

Shnuddy Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Is that a setting? Cause mine does nothing when I touch the send button :thinking:

15. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Texas
    It seems like this (along with many other items) is intermitent; but it seems my phone is pretty consistent with this "feature". I read a thread a while back that had some different input. I'm not aware of any method to change the hard button behavior. I could be mistaken.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/109115-pressing-send-key-wakes-up-my-eris.html

Not a terribly long, nor informative thread...sorry.

16. Podivin

Podivin Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Same here, when I press the Send key while my phone is asleep a considerable amount of nothing happens.

17. MrDangerous

MrDangerous Well-Known Member

May 21, 2010
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My phone used to wake on send before I installed 2.1.

Wake on power/end is annoying to me because I've accidentally hung up on people trying to wake my phone.