1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Is my EVO 4G stolen?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JeffinCA, Jul 6, 2011.

1. JeffinCA

JeffinCA Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    Male
    Sunny Southern California
    I bought an HTC EVO 4G with no contract on eBay. The phone was listed as 'Used', but arrived with everything wrapped as new except for one of the USB cables and appears totally new in appearance (got all the manuals, too).

As near as I can tell, the phone is working perfectly as a PDA with WiFi access. I haven't tried to set it up with Sprint because I don't want an expensive calling/data plan (I wouldn't mind setting it up with Boost Mobile as I already have that service, but that seems unlikely).

If the phone is stolen property, I believe PayPal will cover my expenses, so I am not worried about losing my money.

What I am worried about is Sprint disabling the phone if I don't sign up with one of their calling plans after I give them my phone's serial number.

Is this a possibility? Is there anything else I should worry about?

Jeff

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    hello and welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as far as your phone's esn, i would not worry about it to much. if you do give sprint your esn, they will most likely have you sign up for there plans. i could be absolutely wrong on this though.

3. devinEVO

devinEVO Well-Known Member
    None

May 19, 2011
    Self Employed
    S.E. OK
    the first question should be do the numbers on the phone match the numbers on the box. if they do then your in the clear. if they dont then dont panic as it could have easily gotten switched around some how. so dont worry call sprints CS department and see if its clear. they will cooperate fully

4. JeffinCA

None

Jun 20, 2011
    Male
    The only number I see on the box that I also found in the Phone Identity page is the MEID, and they do NOT match. The eBay ad said that the phone was being sold because the previous owner's company changed phone providers, so I suppose it is possible that boxes were grabbed at random when packing everything up (while wrapped in clear plastic, the appearance seemed a bit amateurish for a mass-produced product).

Guess I will have to make a call.

Jeff

Needforspeed likes this.
  5. JeffinCA

None

Jun 20, 2011
    Male
    I found the previous user's ID in the phone's software with the phone number and e-mail address. I have sent him an e-mail to confirm the story I heard on eBay (the seller was doing a favor for a friend). If that bounces, I could try his old number (making sure this phone is completely powered down).

Jeff

6. Herf N Turf

Herf N Turf Member
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    Don't even bother with the seller, you OWN the phone now. The easiest way to put your mind to rest is to call ANY Sprint Store and simply ask them to check the MEID. They will be happy to tell you if it's clean or dirty. If you're going to flash it over to another network, it really doesn't matter, but it's a nice feeling to know you have a completely "clean" device.

7. JeffinCA

None

Jun 20, 2011
    Male
    Yeah, or maybe not. If it's stolen property, I don't own it, I just have it. :cool:

Jeff

Kelmar likes this.
  8. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Glad you are the honest type! If it was my missing/stolen phone I, for one, would be glad that you are doing the right thing.

The suggestions above are pretty much spot on. Just call Sprint and tell them you want to check the status of the ESN for a phone you are buying. Either it's clean (and you should be good to go) or it's bad (stolen, unpaid account, etc).

Best of luck!

Tags: