• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help is my jack janked?

excited when i recently discovered pandora. ran to wally world & purchased a set of koss earbuds. plugged them into my droid x with great anticipation but, wholly crap batman, nothing happened; all that beautiful music still being wasted through the tonky sounding lil' speaker on the phone & nothing through the earbuds!! called a friend at verizon & she said i needed a 4 conductor 3.5mm aux cable rather than the standard 3 conductor. OK, i sawllowed it & got on the internet & ordered a headset through vzw.com with a 4 conductor cable, the 4th conductor simply makes available the use of a mic, as i understand. while anxiously awaiting the arrival of the "correct" headset, i continued internet research & find multiple posts where people are using standard 3 conductor 3.5mm aux cables without issues. i have an aux cable i use to play my mp3 through my car radio. tried that with the droid & still nothing; pitiful music through the phone speaker & zilch through the car radio. am i missing something here or is my phone jack the issue? can someone please help a po' ol' newby out?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones