• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is my partition causing lag?

DWILSON48625

Android Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2011
Harrison Mi
So I have an 8gig class 2 sd card. I partitioned it to 4gb. I was reading in another post the other day that 1gb was probably plenty and that the 4gig may actually be causing lag. It also seems to run outta space faster than normal.

Just wondered if anyone has had that issue.

Im also using twrp, and want to keep my backup. suggestions on keeping it? Im so sick of re downloading apps. I use tb, but it seems to dork up every backup.

Also, I have another 8gb card, partitioned the same way. Windows xp only sees it as a 4gb. It only formats it as a 4gig too.

Thanks.

Hi,

First of all, your " LAG " is the class 2 card !!! You're really brave running the almost slowest card !! Usually at very minimum a class 4, better a class 6 and best a class 10 card ( all my apps run real "zippy" on my 32GB/class10 ) !!!!

Second, Titanium Backup works very well for me, never had any trouble. With Titanium Backup, you only have trouble if you switch ROM and then restore apps and data....... So, if switching ROM, just restore the apps, not the data, if it is the same ROM, you can do apps and data..... Did it many, many times, never a single problem this way.

Third, if you have a 8GB card and partitioned it on the phone with 4GB ( as you said ), than Windows only will see the remaining 4GB of FAT...... the 4GB partition created on the phone is an ext4 which Windows won't see or recognize !!

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
How do i go about regaining my 4gig sd-ext when i upgrade my card?

You download this :

Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

Install it in Windows and delete the sdext....and make your FAT or FAT32 bigger!

HOWEVER : I tried several times, with different sd-cards to create sdext3 and sdext4 and swap with this tool in Windows, but the phone never recognized these partitions.... Once you upgrade to a larger, class 10 card, just make the partition needed on the phone, using CWM or sdparter !!!

Reactions: DWILSON48625
Upvote 0
I have copied my TB folder and CWM to my PC at least 20 times (and different MicroSD) and never had an issue restoring any data.

some thoughts tho:

1. I keep 3 TB backups per app to be safe
2. I never backup system apps and rarely user apps, I stick to data backups and reinstall any apps as needed
3. Do not change the folder names on CWM/AGAT (Nandroids) as they will fail on restore
4. CWM and AGAT (or other Custom recovery) backups are NOT cross compatible; different file formats. Resotre Nandroids from the tool they were made from

Upvote 0
Oh I meant I was re-installing apps with data between roms. Thats a biiiiiig PITA... Im now using the odin packer for a backup. I install a rom, install all my attention grabbing apps, create an odin image and store it away on my PC.

Ive also been trying out TWRP (thanks Hroark) and liking it ALOT!

Yeah, I think Im gonna get my 4gb back and re-partition it to 1 or 2gb on the partition. Or just buy a new class 10. I see them for $25 or so on ebay.

Again, thanks for all your guys help.

Dj

Upvote 0
Bought 32gb class 10 card on ebay... $18.99.

While I wait for it to arrive, I try playing with my favorite roms to solve my lag issue..Only happening on ct3.75 final.. Not getting it in ct3.68, cm7, or halfass.

I dont know why. Went back to halfass for now.

Ill rerun 3.75 after new card gets here, just to rule that out.

Thanks again,
Dj

Upvote 0
new sd card sux!!!!! no longer buying no name crap.

I got a 32g class 10...($18 "memorette" on ebay) garbage from minute 1. CWM claims its partitioning, etc etc, but fire up the phone, and says blank or damaged card!!! storage says unavailable, and wont mount.

Aint even gonna send it back....Aint worth the time or few $ to send it...

:mad:pisses me off...:mad:

Sometimes it reads, but rarely. SUPER BUMMED!

So, can anyone suggest a name brand, known to work sd card? We can uses, what, 32gig right?

thx

Upvote 0
new sd card sux!!!!! no longer buying no name crap.

I got a 32g class 10...($18 "memorette" on ebay) garbage from minute 1. CWM claims its partitioning, etc etc, but fire up the phone, and says blank or damaged card!!! storage says unavailable, and wont mount.

Aint even gonna send it back....Aint worth the time or few $ to send it...

:mad:pisses me off...:mad:

Sometimes it reads, but rarely. SUPER BUMMED!

So, can anyone suggest a name brand, known to work sd card? We can uses, what, 32gig right?

thx

Keep a check on the Best Buy website. I found a 32gb class 10 Sandisk micro sd card for less than $20 a little over a month ago.:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones