1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

is my phone being spied on?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by humm, Oct 4, 2014.

1. humm

humm Lurker

my phone is HTC one S and i doubt if my phone is being spied on..
    at my workplace, my phone has been with my colleagues a couple of month back. Now i notice some processes that are running and they seem irrelevant. like 'motorola apps' and 'data dashboard' .. Moreover a coworker often is quite accurate regarding my commitments and plans SO i doubt.. it might be nothing but i wanted to be sure..
    please help.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

If your phone has been out of your sight and control, there could indeed have been stuff installed on it. "Motorola apps" on a HTC? - that doesn't sound right. It's not rooted is it, you could always do a factory reset, that will delete anything that was installed, backup anything important first though.,

funkylogik likes this.
  3. humm

humm Lurker

my phone isn't rooted.. I'm backingup my data and restoring factory settings.. but will it remove the software updates and android updates as well?

4. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

NO, a FR will only reset your device from new, and all data will be lost, all SW and Android upgrades will remain intact. One thing though, if you have your apps backing up to the Google server, then you want to make sure when you do your FR, that you do not restore those apps, rahter install them yourself one by one, or that app will be installed again. You could also tried to simply uninstall the rogue apps you noticed. See if that works first, before going through the pain of setting your phone back up from scratch again ;)

5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Other thing to consider: if your co-worker has access to your calendar or email through some route other than the phone that could produce the same results. So changing your passwords might be worth doing as a precaution.

6. humm

humm Lurker

I couldnt find the app in the list of running or installed applications. I found abt it when I installed Onavo to keep track of monthly data plan usage. It gave me details of the apps consuming.
    Yes I'm resetting passwords as well.

7. humm

humm Lurker

And even after re-set, Motorola app is showing up as I'm installing apps one by one..
    now?

8. If I was to guess ... there are 250 apps in Play Store identified when I do a search on Motorola. Someone probably downloaded one or more apps from Play Store and they are selected now to be reinstalled.

... Thom

9. humm

humm Lurker

As I said earlier the 'motorola app' can only be seen through onavo count (data usage) only. It is not appearing in the application list.

Now the question is, 'is it harmful'?

10. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Get yourself the app Network Connections from Google Play. It'll show you all in/out connections to your phone. You can track down what this is in greater detail.

exninja likes this.
  11. humm

humm Lurker

Downloaded the 'network connection'
    But it's complex, and I cannot see 'motorola app' here.

12. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Is there any Motorola made hardware on the phone?

13. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

You don't have to get into the complexities of it. When you first open the app, it's default screen shows "current connections". Check it periodically and look for anything suspicious. If you constantly see only trusted apps there, then you probably have nothing to worry about. If this app is truly using data, it should be showing up here.

14. go4it2291980

go4it2291980 Lurker

I'm having the same problem! Onavo detected me using 560 MB within a 3wk span (90% less data than other Motorola app users) So that just makes no sense...

After you gave your phone a factory reset you still had a Motorola app running your data?

#14 go4it2291980, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015