1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Is my phone bricked?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by _-Jay-_, Jan 30, 2011.

1. _-Jay-_

_-Jay-_ Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ
    So everything was fine last night. I was running the stock DI18 build and did the One Click Root. This morning, I woke up and decided I wanted to try and use a custom ROM (Quantum). I read that I needed to update the modem to DK28 to use the ROM so I DLed the files to update. I opened Odin and got the Tar and PIT files setup, plugged in my phone and got Odin to recognize it. Hit start and nothing happened. Rebooted into recovery mode and Clockwork started running a backup and restore on my phone. After it was finished, I selected the reboot phone phone option to boot up the phone. Now it won't boot up past the Samsung screen. Everytime I plug my phone into my PC, it says that the device has malfunctioned and won't show up in Odin. I have uninstalled my Samsung drivers and reinstalled them and it still says device has malfuntioned. No matter what USB port I use, I get the same error. I can still boot the phone into Recovery and Download modes. What can I do to fix this?

PS, everyone says how easy it is to flash and load roms and modems and stuff, but it really isn't lol.

Advertisement

2. yogi2000

yogi2000 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 11, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA

Dang, if you can get your phone into download mode, Odin SHOULD work... you are in download mode when plugging into Odin, correct? I've never heard of that error before.

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Android Expert
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    My thinking is it's not a driver problem if you were able to root your phone already. I think you might have a cable problem.
    Bottom line you need to try and copy a ROM to your SD card then put the SD card back in the phone boot to clockwork and install ZIP from SD card. Good luck

PS
    What VER of clockwork did you load?

Also look at this link and go down to step 6
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/epi...-fix-rfs-ext4-now-w-clockwork-v3-0-0-5-a.html

4. _-Jay-_

_-Jay-_ Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ
    I got it fixed. I installed the drivers onto my 2nd computer and pulled the battery from the phone. Booted into download mode flashed the DK28 mode with no issues. Phone still wouldn't boot up. Pulled the sd card and copied the quantum rom onto it using my external card reader. Put the card back in the phone and booted into recovery. Flashed data and cache 3 times each. Installed the quantum zip. 5 mins later phone booted normally and low an behold I am running Quantum 2.2. This rom rocks!

5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Android Expert
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    Way to go enjoy