• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is my positionning or gyro device broken ?

gabier

Jul 19, 2017
Hello you all,

My GalaxyS5 (Android 6.0.1) had no landscape mode switching for several month. More precisely, this switching could reappear when restarting the phone, but it did not stay for long (a few minutes to several hours).
Recently, I wanted to install a compass application, and I discovered that I had also to restart the phone in order to have the compass working.
Thus now I suspect a hardware problem in the positionning or the gyroscopic system.
Is there a way to confirm this diagnostic ?

:) gabier

Hello you all,

My GalaxyS5 (Android 6.0.1) had no landscape mode switching for several month. More precisely, this switching could reappear when restarting the phone, but it did not stay for long (a few minutes to several hours).
Recently, I wanted to install a compass application, and I discovered that I had also to restart the phone in order to have the compass working.
Thus now I suspect a hardware problem in the positionning or the gyroscopic system.

in the status bar where all the quick setting of the phone are is the rotation lock to portrait mode

Upvote 0
Hello you all,

Download and install, free from the Play Store, Sensors Multitool to ensure that your GPS is functioning correctly. If so, move on to, GPS fix S5 - Dummies Guide to see if that helps.

Upvote 0
There is no "auto" option. The only option in the Screen Rotation section of the Display panel is the "Smart Rotation" option, and the On/Off switch.
Reply I'm talking about this look in the top left of photo

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170719-181531.png
    Screenshot_20170719-181531.png
    368.7 KB · Views: 179
Upvote 0
Download and install, free from the Play Store, Sensors Multitool to ensure that your GPS is functioning correctly. If so, move on to, GPS fix S5 - Dummies Guide to see if that helps.
I have not done all the tuning (it was raining for the outside tuning) but I have done part of it and the GPS seems to work properly. It is the display rotation which does not work. Yesterday it was OK and this morning it does not work.

:) gabier.

Reactions: kfipzg
Upvote 0
Ok your going to make sure the phone is turned off and then you need to hold the volume up, home button and power at the same time untill you see the samsung logo and release them. Then your going to choose wipe cache partation and then reboot phone
OK. I hate those special startups, i had to do it 4 times before succeeding. But once the cache partition wiped and the phone restarted, the screen rotation still does not work .
Note that the GPS Status application has an option "Sensors test". When choosen it displays a list of sensors with after a few seconds a green (OK) or red mark (not OK).
The GPS, light, Magnetic field, pressure, are green = OK
The accelerometer, the gravity, the gyroscope, the linear acceleration, the orientation, the step meter are red.
When clicked the gyroscope line displays a message "The gyroscope is maybe in error. Try to move the phone".
But no movement can change this status. It is the same for other sensors with red status.
I almost believe that there is a hardware problem in these sensors.

Reactions: ExLegionAir
Upvote 0
OK. I hate those special startups, i had to do it 4 times before succeeding. But once the cache partition wiped and the phone restarted, the screen rotation still does not work .
Note that the GPS Status application has an option "Sensors test". When choosen it displays a list of sensors with after a few seconds a green (OK) or red mark (not OK).
The GPS, light, Magnetic field, pressure, are green = OK
The accelerometer, the gravity, the gyroscope, the linear acceleration, the orientation, the step meter are red.
When clicked the gyroscope line displays a message "The gyroscope is maybe in error. Try to move the phone".
But no movement can change this status. It is the same for other sensors with red status.
I almost believe that there is a hardware problem in these sensors.
there might be

Upvote 0
I have not done all the tuning (it was raining for the outside tuning) but I have done part of it and the GPS seems to work properly. It is the display rotation which does not work. Yesterday it was OK and this morning it does not work.

:) gabier.

My bad about GPS. I have seen on other forums, that a sharp tap on the side of the phone, against the edge of a table or chair, has cured the screen rotation in some cases. Do this at your own risk.

Upvote 0
My bad about GPS. I have seen on other forums, that a sharp tap on the side of the phone, against the edge of a table or chair, has cured the screen rotation in some cases. Do this at your own risk.
I did it. Several taps harder and harder did not change anything.
Well I suppose we have went around the issue.
Thank you to all of you who have helped me trying to solve the problem.
I will live without screen rotation for a while. When I cannot stand it anymore, I buy another phone :D.

gabier

Upvote 0
I had a similar problem with a Galaxy Avant a while back. Rotation/gyro would stop working, reboot would bring it back for a while until it quit again, lather rinse repeat. Factory reset didn't fix it. It was new so I could have sent it in for repair, but I had rooted it and that might have been a dealbreaker for getting warranty service. My solution was to get an S5 (which I'm still using) and repurpose the Avant as a media player.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones