1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Is my Samsung Galaxy S3 Laggier than others?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by austinchau, Jan 13, 2013.

1. austinchau

austinchau Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2013
    Hi, I'm new to this website and just had a few questions about my Samsung Galaxy S3.
    I've had my S3 for about 3 and a half months now, and it feels as if my s3 has gotten a lot slower or laggier. For example, when I try raising the volume in the home screen, it takes a good 2 seconds before it raises. The same thing goes for when I press the menu button. However, this only occurs on my home screen with a flat picture, if it's a live wallpaper then the problem does not occur.
    Second, all of my games I play that are in constant motion have lag spikes. Such as in Jetpack Joyride, a simple game that did not even lag on my ipod touch 2nd gen, I would have a lag spike in the middle of playing causing me to die.
    Other than that, I have been really enjoying my phone! Model Number is SGH-T999 on 4.1.1(Jelly Bean).
    I've just been wondering if I should send it in to get checked, because my phone never lagged like this before the winter break started, and I've never dropped my phone yet.
    Oh yeah, and yes I have tried factory resetting my phone from settings, did not make a difference.

Advertisement

2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hey there I have moved your thread into the Galaxy S3 forums so that people with your device might be able to assist you a little better.

Have you tried clearing the cache of some of those games?

Hope this move helps :D

3. soul0merk

soul0merk Lurker
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    Hey
    I have the same problem... i noticed the lag spikes a lot now ... sometimes just moving from one app to another to the point where it has slowed down to the same speed as my old htc desire.

Before on jelly bean i could have power saving on and no lag, after updating to premium suite on s3 i notice a lot of lag, even with powersaving off (i don't really care about powersaving but its the principle)

Is premium suite slowing my phone .. or do i have a rouge app, or an app that doesn't play nice with the premium suite?

anyone else having issues with premium suite? (because for me it has messed up the messaging app and slow down my phone .. meanwhile not bringing any useful benfits ... :/

The lag i talk about is opening up apps and such ... once running no lagg, but a few second wait after pressing to open an app, before which it was instantaneous.

Also when receving a phone call from a contact it struggles to find the name of that contact ... i need to let it ring for about 5 seconds before it shows me the name of caller..... SO NOT COOL ATM

Thanks for reading this essay ;)

4. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

Jul 15, 2010
    TN
    Can you post a list of your apps?
    Also, what is your current memory usage?

5. Uppal007

Uppal007 Newbie
    None

Jul 13, 2012
    Im also having lag problems with my S3 since the Premium update, it's so slow sometimes I can't be bothered to wait for it and just turn it off :-( had no problems up until the update.

6. sunshine12345

sunshine12345 Lurker
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    I have some issues with temple run game in my samsung galaxy s3, it makes a weird sound. Tried to uninstall and install game again but that didnt help. any ideas?

7. austinchau

austinchau Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2013
    As for memory usage, I usually use around 600mb - 1gb of ram out of 2 gb if that's what your referring too. As for phone memory I've only used 1gb after the factory reset of my phone. Apps would be
    -Lep's Wolrd 2
    -Zenonia 5
    -Jetpack Joyride
    -AVG antivirus (for apk files)
    - Fruit Ninja(apk)
    - Subway Surfer
    -Flow free
    -Cineplex
    -Icon PopQuiz
    -Go sms pro
    -Minecraft (apk)
    -Doodle Jump Plus (apk)
    - Flixser
    -Bubble Worlds
    - Whatsapp
    -Dolphin Broswer
    -Papertoss
    -Happy fall/jump
    -Google Translate
    -Jewels Star
    -Air hokcey
    -timeplay
    -dictionary
    -zedge
    -snake 97
    - the circus(apk cause they took out of play store)
    -math workout
    -color note
    the rest are not downloaded but came with the phone.

8. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    can anyone tell me what this "premium suite" is/does?

p.s. make sure youre not in powersaving mode and never worry about ram.
    put it this way, my model only has 1gb ram and i typicly have about 80mb spare and thats when it scores high (higher than the 2gb versions) on benchmark tests :)

....whats "flow free"?

9. davoid

davoid Android Expert

Aug 3, 2011
    London
  10. austinchau

austinchau Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2013
    Well, my carrier (Mobilicity from Ontario Canada) does not have premium suite yet as I've stated I'm on 4.1.1. Just saying. And I am never on powersaving mode.
    And flow free is just that game when you connect colours. I think it might just be called flow. Lol
    I just tried fruit ninja and had a lag spike. So annoying. What's wrong with my phone? :( It doesn't happen too often, but I think I still feel constant small lag on my phone, that might just be me being paranoid with all the big lag. :p
    Does factory resetting my phone from settings or from rebooting make a difference?

11. soul0merk

soul0merk Lurker
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    any solutions?

12. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    Male
    UK
    The same as with a pc, do a full backup, factory reset, and restore and it'll probably run like it did out of the box again. ;)

13. dan44762000

dan44762000 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    self employed
    swansea
    i notice slight lag when scrolling on facebook or twitter , oh i use Friendcaster and falcon pro , but when scrolling it like does little spikes when it should be smooth and no lagging whatsoever . no idea why but it is very annoying , rest of phone is perfect in regards to lag . its just the scrolling on pages that causes it .

14. endlive

endlive Member
    None

Jul 25, 2012
    my s3 lags all the time, especially when using the keyboard / texting. there are a few things i usually do to help it along

• clear all of the apps that are currently running
    • use power saving mode
    • don't use live wallpapers
    • turn the animations down to 0.5x in developer options
    • use app cache cleaner
    • restart the phone every other day or so

it's a shame that this beautiful phone can only run optimally when everything is dialed down. i made the mistake of using my gf's iphone 4S to write a text and it was smooth as butter.

15. Gmash

Gmash Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There
    Clearing apps on Android will make things worse, because your phone will just restart them again, and power saving mode reduces performance to save battery, So both of those things are actually counterproductive.

16. endlive

endlive Member
    None

Jul 25, 2012
    i was weary about app cleaning apps, but the one i've mentioned actually seems to have helped a bit. still on the fence about power saving actually helping or not.