1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Is Nexus 7 Gen 2 a good tablet?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by antionevj1165, Aug 6, 2013.

1. antionevj1165

antionevj1165 Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2013
    Male
    Oxford NC
    My friend keeps telling me to wait and get a iPad Mini because there might be a new one coming out later this year and iOS 7 will be awesome. However, I really like the Nexus 7 the new one that was released looks pretty cool and the specs are awesome:D. I really want to get a good tablet that is also durable. I don't want a Kindle Fire (bad experience). I would like some feedback on it you don't have to have one but I would like some people to give me their opinions/reviews on the new Nexus 7 Gen 2 and/or iPad Mini. Which one should I buy? Also which one is best durable?
    My limit is $450

I would mainly use it for the internet, email also playing games you know the typical things that they are used for. I would not be using it for college if I did, it would be on very rare occasions.

Advertisement

2. androidpod

androidpod Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 3, 2012
    West Coast
    I bought a Nexus 7.2 after enjoying the original N7 from the day it was released. I also have an iPad mini, it's no contest. The Nexus 7.2 has such a terrific display, it is even better than my iPad 4 with retina.

Then there's Android 4.3 which is really fast, fun and smooth. I simply cannot say enough good things about the N 7.2, after the first ten days of very heavy use, I could not be happier.

3. GalaxyNexus

GalaxyNexus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 12, 2011
    Male
    LifeGuard, Weight Lifter
    Bikini Bottom
    To be honest,

If you are heavily invested in iOS wait for the next gen iPad Mini. If not then definitely go for the New Nexus 7. What phone do you have and have you ever used Android?

4. 1up5dn

1up5dn Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 29, 2010
    Male
    Chandler, AZ
    Honestly the Nexus 7 is the best tablet I have used bar none. It is too small for my liking to be my daily driver, but if you are looking at the 7" form factor, I don't think it has any competition.

Since you have a GS2, I'm sure you know the advantages of being able to customize with Launchers, live wallpapers, lock screens, widgets, etc. Even if the the *pad mini has improved specs, you still won't be able to do any of those things.

Also, now with Chromecast, the Nexus 7 will be even more useful! (I know the "other" OS is supposed to work with Chromecast, but read around, it doesn't work nearly as well)

5. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert
    None

iOS 7 will not be awesome...

6. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Between Imladris and Lothl
    First of all welcome to Android Forums, antionevj1165!

I think it comes down to what you want to do with the tablet. If you want to read, play games, browse the web all with a compact and very portable package then the Nexus 7 is nearly perfect. I carry my N7 with me almost everywhere.

If you want to get into creative apps (synths, sequencers, MIDI, etc.) or things like that then iPad all the way. Apple does creative better than Google at this point. My iPad2 is always within reach when I'm at home.

As others have mentioned, you also have to take into account which ecosystem your better invested in. Nobody wants to repurchase apps you already bought on the other ecosystem.

PS. I have no idea why iOS7 won't awesome, could you expand on that please? Friends have the developer version, seems alright to me.

7. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Extreme Android User
    None

Jul 30, 2012
    Male
    Full time student, Part time McDonalds crew
    Chicago IL
    I just got my nexus 7 today. Loving it thus far, but I notice it gets much hotter than the original nexus 7.

8. antionevj1165

antionevj1165 Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2013
    Male
    Oxford NC
    Honestly I think I am just going to wait and see what Apple has in store for us with the iPad Mini I am curious in seeing what they will pull out of the hat. I do have some apps that I have purchased in iTunes but I wont use them on my iPad mini if I were to get one. I am just going to wait. :)

9. The12thDoctor

The12thDoctor Newbie
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    Ystrad Mynach
    I had an iPad.... But i came back to the Nexus 7... I prefer Android tablets!

10. crapple

crapple Newbie
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    I've had both the old and new nexus 7's and I love them! Android keeps coming out with new and innovative products. Seems like apple is content with what they have and have stopped trying to come out with new ideas. They over charge for everything! I still can't believe the price on the nexus 7's. Such a powerhouse of a tablet for half the price of crapple iPad!

tedpc01 likes this.
  11. Tacomahunter

Tacomahunter Lurker
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    I have to agree with the Nexus 7 2013. I have been a apple lover (computers, I phones, iPads) and now that I have used the 7, it clearly points out the fact that Apple needs to wake up and move ahead. Love this one and don't see looking back.

12. sfbloodbrother

None

Jul 30, 2012
    Male
    Chicago IL
    Good choice!

13. TheOGFaunus

TheOGFaunus Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2013
    If you plan on using the GPS, don't buy the new Nexus 7. If you don't use GPS, then it will be wonderful for you. It appears every unit's GPS stops working after some time, and won't start working again until a reboot. If you use GPS for traveling, hiking, jogging, etc then this tablet will be a massive disappointment.

14. cdf3

cdf3 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 6, 2010
    I have both Nexus 7 devices, a couple of other Android tablets, and an iPad. I prefer using Android over iOS for most of my use.
    I can download and save documents that are attached to emails without a problem on Android. Not so on iOS. It's limited to just pictures and videos. You can save them with the help of 3rd party apps, but it's not the easiest method if compared to saving them on Android.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  15. vinoman

vinoman Newbie
    None

Nov 22, 2012
    I bought a new Nexus 7 yesterday and I've had to reconnect wifi 6 times! It can't hold a wifi connection for more than two hours and then it says it can't find my wifi hot point? Is this just a defective tablet? Should I swap it out for another copy and hope it works? Or buy a Samsung Tablet which may be more reliable??

16. sfbloodbrother

None

Jul 30, 2012
    Male
    Chicago IL
    If I were you I'd get a replacement. Techno buffalo also had the same problem. Maybe the first tablets that Asus made were defective. As for me, the only time I loose connection is when I'm at work at McDonald's.

17. OrochiGab

OrochiGab Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2013
  18. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Waterfoot, Lancashire
    I'd have been tempted by the new Asus if I didn't already have a Nexus 7 (original) but it's no competition for the new N7.

Outstanding job by Asus in producing a bargain priced tablet that amounts to a slightly cut-down original N7 with some extra bits added. Ideal if you want the camera and ability to use SD cards, but otherwise the original N7 has a better performance spec and the new N7 blows it out of the water.

19. tedpc01

tedpc01 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    Male
    Disabled
    North Carolina
    Have you considered get a replacement unit?

20. tedpc01

None

Jul 29, 2011
    Male
    Disabled
    North Carolina
    Probably your best choice (to wait for the new iPad Mini). Have you held both devices in your hand (single-handedly)? The iPad Mini is an 8 Inch slate and is somewhat difficult to hold in one hand, while the Nexus 7 is an easy grab. Unfortunately with Apple, you have to wait for them to complete product development over a year or more for anything new, while with Google, they'll be pushing updates and before too long, Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie. The Nexus gets all the latest and greatest. Being priced around a hundred dollars more and probably not as fast as the Nexus, with better things on the horizon for Android did it for me. For me! The iPad is so much more restrictive than Android and I just see Android as the one to really watch. They are no longer second-class "Copies" but truly innovative and with Android devices in cameras, watches (shortly), tablets, phones, cars, on and on with a price tag from free to expensive (covers the whole marketplace, not just the high-end), I can only see Android as the clear winner in the end. Just my thoughts. Android already has 80% of the smartphone market and tablets are to come with everything from cheap tablets at Wal-Mart to cutting-edge tablets like the Nexus 7. The upcoming Nexus 10 will sure give the iPad a run for the money. It's pretty sad for Apple after the loss of Steve Jobs. It really hurt them!

21. tedpc01

None

Jul 29, 2011
    Male
    Disabled
    North Carolina
    I got really interested in the Nexus 7 because my daughter was going on and on about how great hers was. I bought one, then a week and a half later they came out with the 2013 Nexus 7. Took mine back to Wal-Mart and bought the new one. I do wish they had the grabby (at a loss for a word!) back on the original Nexus, but it's okay. Besides, I have a case coming in tomorrow so it won't matter anyway. Here it is: Amazon.com: Exact(TM) Folio Case for Google Nexus 7 FHD 2nd Gen 2013 Android Tablet by Asus Navy Blue: Computers & Accessories