1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Is Nexus S GPS free?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ng2minh93, Jan 10, 2011.

1. ng2minh93

ng2minh93 Lurker
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Is Nexus S GPS free may i ask?

Advertisement

2. Anthony1

Anthony1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Luton UK
    Sorry, I don't understand the question. GPS (Global Positioning System) free? :thinking:

If you mean paying for GPS navigation, then no. You don't have to pay any extra for GPS navigation.

3. ianr

ianr Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 7, 2009
    Sat nav does use data so if you're on a bad plan in which you are stung for data, then it would cost. But there's no other cost for sat nav using Google Navigation.

4. quantumrand

quantumrand Android Expert
    None

Sep 2, 2009
    The GPS feature is free, but apps that use it may not be. Google Maps/Navigation is free as well, and assuming you live in a region that has Google Navigation, it's pretty much the most you would need in terms of turn-by-turn directions.

There are other turn-by-turn direction apps in the Marketplace, but some are not free. Also, as someone already mentioned, most GPS apps will require a data plan of some sort to avoid hefty data charges.

5. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert
    None

If you have a data allowance then I would use Google Navigation. I use it most days for visiting customers etc and coupled with other data use I'm normally somewhere between 500 MB to 1 GB per month - maps data is a small part of this.

If you don't have data, get it! You really can't use your Android device to the full if you don't!

If you really don't want data, go for something like Copilot. You pay up front for the app but maps are stored on the phone so there are no more usage costs (assuming you turn off traffic data, petrol prices etc).

6. IndivisibleP

IndivisibleP Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    The GPS functionality/feature it self is free (for instance if you turn on Google Maps and click to see your location). But basically mostly all the services beyond that that involve using the GPS also use a data connection (which will cost money unless you are connected to a free wi-fi spot). For instance, using navigation i.e routing from one point to another in Google Maps or Google Navigation app, will need to calculate the route online. So if you are using a mobile data connection then this aspect will cost because of the online access.

Some apps allow you to download road maps so that your phone can reroute without having to go online, but last I checked none of them were that good (at least the free ones). But I have heard talk that Google will eventually support their own offline maps, which would be great. Googles own maps and Navigation app would be better than TomTom or Garmin. Supposedly it will be introduced now that they changed their maps vector imaging which takes much less space and will allow you to download your whole states road maps in a reasonable number of MB for offline use. We'll see...

Tags: