1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Is Opt S Still able to be Wifi Hotspot?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bkmollen, Jan 11, 2012.

1. bkmollen

bkmollen Newbie
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    My power was out and I needed to get on the internet so I tired to use my LG Optimus S as an hotspot. I used Quicksettings and also tried the Hotspot Widget and kept getting the "Network is unavailable" error.

What is up?

I'm running 2.2.2

I've tried at different locations around town and have also tried using my daughter's LG Opt S as well and same thing.

Any ideas?

Brian

Advertisement

2. ninjarabbit

ninjarabbit Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Healthcare
    Sterling MI
    yes you can still use the Optimus S as a "hotspot"... My girlfriend has one and I had it working on 2.2.2 and i still have it working now on 2.3.3... all you need to do is download the wifi tether beta app... I'm currently using the "wifi_tether_v3_1-beta7"... it seems to work for me...:)

EDIT forgot I wasn't in the "all things root section" sorry... yeah you'd need to be rooted for what I said to work...

3. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Under OS version 2.2.1 ZVC or earlier QuickSettings enabled WiFi Hotpsot functionality, but Sprint closed that loophole on all OS versions starting with 2.2.1 ZVD. At that point people started getting the "Network is unavailable" error message. (When ZVD was released, the word spread quickly, and many of us refused to accept version 2.2.1 ZVD and newer.)

To my knowledge, the only way to get WiFi Hotspot functionality on revision 2.2.1 ZVD or newer is to root your phone and then install a Hotspot app. But if you're going to root, then you might as well also install a custom ROM, most of which have WiFi Hotspot functionality built-in. If I'm wrong about this, please let me know because I'll probably update to Gingerbread.

4. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    How y'all doing, I'm a newly appointed Guide trying to get a feel for the OP"S" forum so i can help out when needed. I really like helping others solve their problems, and will be absorbing as much info on the S as is humanly possible.

I get the impression y'all are just as helpful as me and would not want another member to do anything to mess up there phone or there standing here in this great forum.
    I found this information that I just had to share with y'all found here http://androidforums.com/3564046-post1.html
    For the sites policy on this topic click on the "Site Rules & Regulations" in my signature.

I really hope this has helped y'all out. Any questions I have should be answered in y'alls threads.
    I know there are similarities between the S and V, but i need to learn what's not..
    I won't be giving any advice in areas that I don't know for sure, but can move a thread to a forum were the OP will get the best advice for his problem.

I sincerely hope y'all are just as awesome as those in the V forum.

Sincerely, AndyOpie150

Frisco likes this.