1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Is rooting more error-prone than the instructions would have you believe?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by awilson77584, Jan 5, 2012.

1. awilson77584

awilson77584 Newbie
    None

Sep 17, 2010
    I checked the earlier posts and didn't find a clear answer. I like that pop-up feature. Vbulletin does a great job.

I am a fairly tech savvy person and I know my way around multiple unixes. It appears to me that there are multiple "sure-fire, fool-proof, simple, etc" methods to get root and install new roms. I know that people make mistakes following directions, but it seems that there are a LOT of "rooting didn't take, my radio/bluetooth/camera/sms/etc feature doesn't work" posts.

Are there a lot of obscure or unknown gotchas waiting for new android phone hackers? Is there a repeatable method that works?

I'm planning to use an ICS rom for my Evo when a stable one that supports all of the device's normal features. Should I just keep the stock and wait for a Sprint LTE phone?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    moved you over to the rooting section.

the rooitng process for gingerbread is quite simple. revolutionary is the program that does everything for you. the hardest part is getting the beta key that is generated to work. after that you just wait for the program to finish and you are rooted.

i would recommend that you read this guide:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html. it has a ton of info that you should know beforehand.

any questions that you have please feel free to ask them.

awilson77584 likes this.
  3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    The rooting process is really quite simple. Once you have everything downloaded and put where it has to be the process itself only takes about 10 minutes... and is nearly all done by the revolutionary program.

ocnbrze, dustwun77 and awilson77584 like this.
  4. mikem0269

mikem0269 Android Expert
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Male
    Illinois
    I have rooted ,unrooted and re rooted with no problems. Most of the problems u see are from people not reading or skiping something, A good example is with flashing a rom u need to wipe the phone properly and when flashing an AOSP rom a lot of people dont flash the google apps or gapps file because they dont reserch, Read everything u can here like OCN said and if u dont understand just ask here and u will always get an answer. Ive seen problems solved in 10 mins here. This is the best place.

5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Mike is right, most problems you see are not with the root process itself.

75% of the problems that you see on here are issues with wiping and flashing ROMS. A simple "factory reset" is not a proper wipe. Follow the guide ocn linked you and thats really all the information you need to get "caught up"

awilson77584, ocnbrze and dustwun77 like this.
  6. 1rebmem

1rebmem Lurker
    None

Dec 26, 2011
    As a total noob, never downloaded a thing to a phone before, I rooted and flashed ROM's on my new EVO just before Xmas. Had zero problems (beta key took some time to enter) using the Root for Dummies guide on this forum. I did re-read and study the guide several times, also looked at some youtube vids.
    It looked challenging to do but once done I thought to myself "that was easy".

7. txtoddtattoo

txtoddtattoo Member
    None

Nov 23, 2011
    Like everyone else has said its very easy, if you can follow instructions to the T.
    Someone else mentioned resaerch to. Seems like you have already been reading some so you should know what to look for. If you are familiar with unix and somewhat tech savy then it should be a peice of cake, plus you'll have plenty of support here for there are many that can and will help.

Just know this is addicting, and a great rom out now is CM7.1 Thats been my favorite so far and I'm a flashaholic.

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    If you do not prepare properly it will be disastrous. Preparation is the key as it is for most projects you take on. As a Unix user you should know that there is as much preparation as there is actual work. Most problems I have seen have boiled down to two things 1) is the preparation 2) is the patience it takes to do it properly. Obviously there are problems with some ROMs where things may not work properly or need a flash fix. Again though if people took time to read the information they would probably find that the dev has placed on his page that this is not working or that is not working. I have been Flashing and my process may be slower than a lot of peoples however i rarely have problems because of my in proper preparedness or my lack of patience. Most of my issues have been Operator Error because I forgot about this or that.

ocnbrze likes this.
Tags: