1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root is rooting ONLY for this reason a dumb idea?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cyaiphone, Dec 19, 2010.

1. eric3316

eric3316 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2010
    NC
    Certain methods only work with certain software and hboot versions. Make sure your device is compatible with what ever way you try and root. Also, you will want full root and the ability to install a recovery. Make sure you choose the right method.

Advertisement

2. cyaiphone

cyaiphone Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 25, 2010

Ok i just finished and I think im rooted!!
    My thing says "s-off"

now i dont know what to do lol:eek:

3. thekarens

thekarens Well-Known Member
    None

May 23, 2010
    Houston
    You have two choices, you can leave it as is or you can flash a nice new rom. Don't forget nand backup and I personally HIGHLY recommend Titanium Backup and Rom Manager. They make skipping from rom to rom a breeze.

4. cyaiphone

cyaiphone Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Oh crap my brain was just unwinding then i read your post :eek:

How do I know if i did a nand back up? I did do one as one of the instructions told me to but how do i confirm i did it?

Where do i find roms and a list of what they have to offer?

am i supposed to do a nand back up now after im rooted or was that just before i started the process?

5. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Android Expert
    None

Jun 30, 2010
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Well if you did a nand then you have one. You can check by going into recovery and select restore and it will show you the nands.

You can find all roms at xda. EVO 4G Android Development - xda-developers

You can only do a nand when rooted. Therefore you don't need another one. When or if you flash another rom and like it then you can do it again.

6. blckz28

blckz28 Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2010
    One of the reasons I rooted is I wanted to share my internet connection with my wife's Incredible (she only has the 150MB/month plan). I was so disappointed to find out Android doesn't see ad-hoc WiFi networks. After a little searching I found an update to the WiFi Tether app that hasn't been pushed to the market yet. It supports WPA and infrastructure mode. Can be found here Free Android WiFi Tether For Root Users App Now Supports WPA2 And Full Hotspot (Infrastructure) Capabilities On EVO 4G | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Mods, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police if anybody else is interested. Make sure you uninstall the old one first.

7. lornaevo

lornaevo Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Queens, NYC
    That's the reason I rooted in the first place. Then I heard about wireless tether and fell in love with that. Then I started using custom roms. So it's not a dumb idea. You will soon be custom roms. You will get hooked on flashing roms and wonder why you waited so long.

Good Luck

Tags: