1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root is sprint bs'ing me?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hortstu, Apr 27, 2011.

1. hortstu

hortstu Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    I called to tell them about my egos bootloop/ reboot problem. The woman at tech support told me they were going to force an update that would solve the problem. I asked what would be updated because I just updated everything. She tried to tell me just a general system update. Tell me this isn't bs.

Advertisement

2. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC

I would answer your question but i dont even know what a general system update is LOL its too general to know :)

3. beastinbolts

beastinbolts Android Expert
    None

Apr 16, 2011
    I got the same thing from them awhile ago.( its funny when you ask them a tech question and the bullshit you not know you probably know more then them) she sent like three "system updates" (thank god the did not mess up my set up).. but none of her updates worked. I had to get a experimental app to fix the problem....

4. nathanotis

nathanotis Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    When I worked in Business Tech Support @ Sprint we did have the ability to PROMPT the phone to get updates that we saw were available for it... But in my experience, the phones NEVER took the prompts. I always assumed it was because our system was behind and the phone already had the updates.

It was also not very clear what these updates were... Sprint software? Device firmware? I wasn't sure. The version numbers rarely lined up with anything I recognized (like versions of an OS, for example).

Whether it's bs or not, I couldn't say, either... If it's a firmware update and it is released to fix a known issue, sure, but wouldn't more of us here KNOW about an issue like that?

5. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    Yeah i dont think i would be accepting any general updates from sprint. They dont have an update I cant do myself that im aware of...especially if aforementioned general update is firmware, my phone is rooted, no thank you...

6. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    @OP: force an update.... did it work?

7. ceabbott2

ceabbott2 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Lieutenant/Firefighter
    Henderson,KY
    If you don't mind may I ask what experimental app you speak of?

Charles

8. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    yeah something like that for me, i would never call. when my evo kept having random reboots, i just unrooted and took it in and had them take a look at it. i don't trust anything that they do over the phone. it was much easier showing and explaining what my problem was.

9. hortstu

hortstu Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Hey novox,

I didn't notice any update come in. Ever. Anyway I unrooted etc and brought the phone in to a local sprint store. Luckily I found a good tech that implied that he knew I was rooted and didn't give a crap. Since I didn't have the insurance he could get me a refurbished for 35$ + tax. I took that deal. The HTC warranty had me going without a phone for "6-10 days."

He said he's seen this problem in about 1-2% of evos that come in with problems.

I've just rereooted my refurb. Thanks for the help all.

Tags: