1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is Sub-folders a good thing for music?

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by ramon198535, Aug 5, 2013.

1. ramon198535

ramon198535 Newbie

My friend asked me how I have my music setup (on my Android). I told him that I have all my music in the My Music folder. All 20GB of it. He looked at me like I just kicked a kitten or something. He said that I should put it in subfolders, like he does. He said he has it broken down like this: My Music\Artist\Album.

Would it be better if my broke my down into subfolders too? I'm THINKING that might speed up searching for my music with music player apps. Basically my tag info, like going through my music based on genre, artist, etc. I have tags on all of my music...at least the artist and song title.

What do you think?

Advertisement

2. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

Folders definitely: mine is folder by artist with sub-folders for albums
    Compilations are at the same level as artist folders.

3. cpfan

cpfan Newbie

Does your favourite music player support folders? If not, then it won't make any difference to you.

In my (limited) experience, music apps prefer to use the mp3 tags. So as long as your tags are good, then you should be OK.

If you sometimes use a file explorer app to locate a specific song, then folders may help you. In my case, the files all start with the artists first name, so generally no problem finding the desired song.

Steve

4. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

As Steve says, music players use the MP3 metadata to drive sorting by artist etc so adding folders won't make any difference to how things appear in the player.

The only advantages to sub-directories I can think of are first, that when you view the folders from your PC the file list will build faster. I have all my podcasts in one folder and it takes quite a while :D

The second thing would be that it would be easier find the files if you decided to delete an album or artist via a File Manager .. though deleting via the player would probably be just as quick :D