• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the 2.1 update really worth doing

tlzeebub

Aug 8, 2009
Hi guys i've been reading with interest the threads on here about the 2.1 update and my hero is on 1.5 I'm always wanting the latest of anything so I'm thinking about doing the update but it seems to me that there are a lot of faults with 2.1 which is scaring me a bit and I dont want to brick my phone, if I do the update and it's no good is it possible to go back to 1.5 or not? also I dont mind losing all my settings but I really cant lose all my texts, what would you guys recommend to use to back up and re-install my texts? TIA Chris. Sorry forgot to add that I'm on Orange if that matters.

I'm on Orange too. I've been reading the comments after people have installed the official 2.1 update from Orange. Glad I didn't go down that route. I rooted and installed loads of different ROMs which are 2.1.
They're all decent ROMs but I'm currently using RCMix, absolutely lovely little ROM. I also used Villain12 before this and found that a good one too.

I'm sure you've read the rooting thread and thought the same as I did........HOLY CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's nowhere near as bad as it reads, and I've never looked back since rooting, I dread to think how many ROMs I've installed and taken off again since then.

Think about giving it a go. It's a shame you don't know anyone else with a Hero that has a rooted ROM to compare, no contest.

Toj

I think I'm right in saying that if you install the Orange update, that you won't be able to root after that.
( Sure I've read that somewhere )

Reactions: tlzeebub
Upvote 0
I'm thinking about doing the update but it seems to me that there are a lot of faults with 2.1 which is scaring me a bit and I dont want to brick my phone

I have a standard Orange Hero and updated to 2.1. It went smoothly and I haven't noticed any problems.

The advantage for me is that I can now use Google Navigation and Bluetooth file transfer.

Reactions: tlzeebub
Upvote 0
I do not believe anyone mentioned the increased speed and responsiveness of 2.1, compared to 1.5.

Cuz its not there :) not for everyone at least. The only speed increase I saw at 2.1 is in starting apps. Many apps run slower as they did in 1.5 so does the sense. What I saw on friends heroes , same issues as mine. (Threads are about it too :) )

I would say worth doing is it though just cuz of the new apps mentioned above :) .

With some tweaking you get it running nicely. The one 1.5 was more user friendly (less options :D) and didnt require this much of tweaking. Again at least for me was this the case, not sure about orange rom.

Reactions: groggy
Upvote 0
Well my experience of 2.1 hasn't been good! Update came through and went ok but since then the phone has ran slower and Google Maps keeps running continually even after its been shut down with Task killer. I also get the "anonymous" text continually. When the phone has lost signal its takes ages for it to re-connect to the network again even though its showing 4/5 bars of signal. What was once a great phone is now no-longer!!

Spoke to Orange Customer Services this morning and explained the problems and they reackon that they did a diagnostic on the phone while I was on the line. The outcome of which was that the "phone is faulty and its a problem with the software" -"we'll send you a new phone tomorrow".

Did'nt enquire as to the software mod state of phone they're sending but will see when it arrives.

Upvote 0
Google Maps keeps running continually even after its been shut down with Task killer.

Was the same on 1.5 sometimes running in 2 services/processes

From what I found out, maps run:
after startup
when app is replaced
widgets updating

And some other apps call it I think too.

Well my experience of 2.1 hasn't been good! Update came through and went ok but since then the phone has ran slower
yes sense is a pain :( . but since 2.1 you can install Launcher pro! and it will get faster (not apps though)

Still update and complain :D We wanna a fix :D OR give us froyo!!! :D

Upvote 0
i have wondered this too.
i have no major problems now and im on 1.5 but i dont know the difference in the update and what it can do for me.
the main reason for me upgrading was the goole nav (which im pleasantly surprised by) and the bluetooth file transfers. Also, apparantely its helps optimize the running of the hardware. It was meant to have 3d images galleries and live wall papers but thanks to some helpfuls folks on here ive found out that these features arent included on the HTC Hero update. Other than that so far so good....

Upvote 0
Well I've lived with 2.1 for nearly 2 weeks now and I've just about had enough of it, my phone reception is a joke, battery life is laughable and every text I try to send gets converted to a MMS, how do I go back to 1.5?
hmmm
i was going to actually try to upgrade today but i keep reading bad things
i just dont know what to do!

Upvote 0
every text I try to send gets converted to a MMS
For SMS you have some apps like the handcent.

battery life is laughable
bad? I had 85 hours on it... there is nothing wrong with the battery life on it. There are some guides about this (basic uncheck always on, dont have the sync every 30 mins, and choose for exampel GSM auto prl or how its called)

Well I've lived with 2.1 for nearly 2 weeks now and I've just about had enough of it, my phone reception is a joke
Go go htc or your shop and ask for a new one or repairs!

hmmm
i was going to actually try to upgrade today but i keep reading bad things
i just dont know what to do!
Well you have to consider that the 1.5 aint without its bugs too. And it has not the functionality of the 2.1 . You can set up the 2.1 quite nicely. If you dont like sense , even better :) .

Btw seriously if you have problems like this tlzeebub, ask for a replace?

Reactions: tlzeebub and groggy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones