• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the 4inch screen the sweet spot?

ikadakimas

Sep 17, 2010
Bored and want to ask you guys a question...?

Is the 4" STILL the sweet spot?

Over a year ago = 3.2" (Storm)
A year ago = 3.7" (Incredible)
6 months = 4.0" (Galaxy S)

I had a storm.. seemed small, then an incredible, thought wow.. what a great size, then saw the galaxy s... so this must be the sweet spot... now it seems I can even go larger... like a Galaxy S2 or Thunderbolt...:thinking:

Does everyone still think 4" is the sweet spot? Will you go 4.3" on your next phone? or 4.5"? What do you think is the cutoff screen sizes?

"Size counts! But in the spy world, everythings reversed!" {guess that quote...?}:rolleyes:

Bored and want to ask you guys a question...?

Take a look at the below trend of "sweet spot" screen sizes....

Over a year ago = 3.2" (Storm)
A year ago = 3.7" (Incredible)
6 months = 4.0" (Galaxy S)

I had a storm.. seemed small, then an incredible, thought wow.. what a great size, then saw the galaxy s... so this must be the sweet spot... now it seems I can even go larger... like a Galaxy S2 or Thunderbolt...:thinking:

Does everyone still think 4" is the sweet spot? Will you go 4.3" on your next phone? or 4.5"? What do you think is the cutoff screen sizes?

"Size counts! But in the spy world, everythings reversed!" {guess that quote...?}:rolleyes:

4.3 is fine, but depends how the entire phone is...having handled the evo, that felt like a perfect size (actually felt about the same size as the fascinate in the hand)....but i had a droid x and the layout was bad for me....it *felt* much bigger than 4.3 and was a bit clumsy in my hand

so the form factor plays as much a role in my liking the phone as screen size

Upvote 0
Personally, I think anything over 4" is too big for a phone. But, that's just me.

I have to agree with this. If I was going to go larger I will wait for the Xoom and get a tablet. (Or one just like it NOT made by Motorola :)) I have been trying to find the perfect fit between form and function without having the "brick" feeling when holding the phone. Personally the Fascinate does that perfectly. I must say that form of the phone is definitely a consideration as well though.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with this. If I was going to go larger I will wait for the Xoom and get a tablet. (Or one just like it NOT made by Motorola :)) I have been trying to find the perfect fit between form and function without having the "brick" feeling when holding the phone. Personally the Fascinate does that perfectly. I must say that form of the phone is definitely a consideration as well though.

I agree the form is important as well. Basically, I just feel the Fascinate is just the right size. So, if the screen was taller, and no buttons on the bottom, it would feel just as nicely.

If it was thicker, the other dimensions would have to shrink a tad to avoid the "graphing calculator to your ear" feeling.

So, I would really suppose, if the form factor was good, then a 4.3" screen would even be nice.

Upvote 0
It really depends on the layout of the phone and the handsize and preference of the owner. If you look at the new HTC Thunderbolt you see the exterior phone dimensions are virtually identical to the SF; yet it has a 4.3". Thats the thing there is a bit of room to put a larger screen on the SF if they got rid of the space. At first I thought the SF had a nice big screen but once you get used to it and then see larger screens it is kinda underwhelming a tad. Im sure my next phone will have a 4.3-4.5" screen and Im fine with that provided the overall phone dimensions dont get much bigger. Im not getting a Thunderbolt but something that size is fine, since again its literally the same size as what we got now.

Upvote 0
I think I could handle another .3 inches though :p
Blushing_smiley_face.png

think pure thoughts, think pure thoughts

Me too :eek::D:p;)

Reactions: Pochi_X
Upvote 0
Once you go over 4" anything you look at below seems tiny. My DX is great in hand, naked. I have to keep my Fascinate in a case because it always wants to slip out of my hands naked. The 4" to 4.3 screen difference isn't that big of a deal.

It really depends on the layout of the phone and the handsize and preference of the owner. If you look at the new HTC Thunderbolt you see the exterior phone dimensions are virtually identical to the SF; yet it has a 4.3". Thats the thing there is a bit of room to put a larger screen on the SF if they got rid of the space. At first I thought the SF had a nice big screen but once you get used to it and then see larger screens it is kinda underwhelming a tad. Im sure my next phone will have a 4.3-4.5" screen and Im fine with that provided the overall phone dimensions dont get much bigger. Im not getting a Thunderbolt but something that size is fine, since again its literally the same size as what we got now.

4.3 with smaller bezel

Basically, what these ppl said...

Upvote 0
Oh God! :eek: Did I seriously just post that? I really should learn not to post after a 12hr day of classes and work! :eek:. Just to throw in my $.02, I absolutely love the size of this phone. Not just the width and length but the thinness of it is just perfect for my pocket.....I really don't know how to say all that without sounding provocative lol. I give up!

Upvote 0
4 inches was too big for my girlfriend....she has small hands. 3.7 or whatever the Incredible is, that's the perfect size for her.

Oh God! :eek: Did I seriously just post that? I really should learn not to post after a 12hr day of classes and work! :eek:. Just to throw in my $.02, I absolutely love the size of this phone. Not just the width and length but the thinness of it is just perfect for my pocket.....I really don't know how to say all that without sounding provocative lol. I give up!

Yeah, b/c that didn't sound much better :D

Upvote 0
I have large hands. Anything under 3.7 is unusable to me. I do have an X and a Fascinate. The phone itself is almost the exact same size even though the X has .3inches larger in screen size.

I like the Fascinate and the iPhone for their video camera quality and the fascinate won for me. The 3.5 inches of the iPhone was just to small to deal with. When I mentioned to the AT&T rep that it was too hard to type on, he says "Most people these days dont even use the keyboards anymore, they do speech to text".... Yeah. right.

Upvote 0
I will say this. Im comfortable going a tad bigger 4.3" easy even my perception of what 4.5" would be. But I have seen the Dell Streak 5" and thats a bit too big especially with all the extra real estate not used by the screen. Things eventually level out and I have to imagine that 4.5" is the ceiling for a cell phone per se. Otherwise we're all going to look ridiculous like this
photos-samsung-galaxy-tab-handson-1.jpg

Reactions: Pochi_X
Upvote 0
yeah its not so much about advertised screen size as form factor...im sure we could see a 4.5 incher that is just as comfortable to hold as our phone or close to it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LraU4akIokU&feature=relmfu

Go to 5:15 and he has the SF right next to the Thunderbolt and you can see they are nearly the exact same size. If anything our SF is a few mm taller/longer. So yes without question we can have a 4.3" screen on the exact same exterior dimensions.

SGS2 looks a lot like our SGS now supposed even thinner by another 1.5mm e.g its 8.5mm thick, which is almost going to be too thin if such a thin exists
samsung_galaxy_s_2.jpg

Again though there seems to be a bit of wasted space at the top. I mean how much room do you need for the logo

Upvote 0
Again though there seems to be a bit of wasted space at the top. I mean how much room do you need for the logo

And antennas, and speakers, and sensors, and duplexers, and power amplifiers and application processors, and....

I haven't seen this device in person since it is a EU model initially, but we don't waste room :) To get it thin, you have to go in the other axises.

Upvote 0
And antennas, and speakers, and sensors, and duplexers, and power amplifiers and application processors, and....

I haven't seen this device in person since it is a EU model initially, but we don't waste room :) To get it thin, you have to go in the other axises.
Ahn just the man we were looking for :D
Obviously SGS2 will be showcased tomorrow I dont suppose you can confirm any specs a day early. Or which USA carriers are getting variants of the SGS2?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones