1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is the 5 still worth buying?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dan1942, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Dan1942

Dan1942 Newbie

My phone is a two year old HOX+, and I was hoping for something smaller than the new Nexus 6, since between my chromebook, desktop and tablet, I mostly just use the phone when I am out, and portability is more important than screen size.

Should I pick up a Nexus 5 while it is still available and save the $$ over a newer M8 or LG 3? Or go with something like the 2014 Moto X, which costs more than the Nexus, but less than the others, and seems perfectly adequate for my needs?
    I'm hoping existing Nexus 5 owners can provide some guidance.
    Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hunter5

Hunter5 Android Enthusiast

All I can say is yes, I feel it's the best phone out and the price is right for everything it has to offer, pure Android is a wonderful thing!! LOL! I'm not as techy as others on here so I can't explain all technical stuff but I can say that I compare my N5 with all my co-workers with their S3, 4 & 5's and my Nexus smokes their doors. I was leaning towards the N6 but after looking at my boss's iPhone 6+ with a slightly smaller screen.....I'm starting to talking myself in keeping the 5.

Edit: Wooow!! Just heard about the $600+ on the N6! Nah, I'm staying with the 5.

3. mk_ultra19

mk_ultra19 Android Enthusiast

The Nexus 5 is still a superb device. There was an article on a tech website that stated, for the money the Nexus 5 cannot be beat. I would have to agree. I was going to pull the trigger on the Nexus 6 until I saw the price. It's not that I can't afford it but it's almost twice as expensive. I'll happily stick with my 32gig Nexus 5 for the near future.

4. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert

Yes, I would. I reverted back to a Nexus 5 a couple of months ago after an Xperia Z2.

I had an HTC One X for work a while back and the difference you will see is huge. Since the Nexus 5 will have good support through Android Lollipop you also have some future proofing.

Moto X does look nice though and I'd be tempted by that if metal and "premium" build is your thing. Not that the N5 feels cheap.

5. JBentleyR

JBentleyR Android Enthusiast

Will the Nexus 5 still be available to buy? I suspect that many people would prefer the smaller phone for various reasons.

6. ItnStln511

ItnStln511 Android Enthusiast

I'd get one. Hopefully the price on the 32GB drops soon now that the Nexus 6 is out.

7. Sc00ter

Sc00ter Newbie

Wait and see. Maybe people will want the 5 once the 6 will be out because of the size.
    BRB, selling my TV and buying a N6 instead.

8. BynoUK

BynoUK Android Enthusiast

Still in awe of mine a year on and I'm a sucker for shiny new things. Such a great phone.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  9. bigt

bigt Android Enthusiast

Me too :)

10. thisISjoel

thisISjoel Android Enthusiast

Still a great phone but I think if the N6 isn't what you want I'd be looking at the 2014 Moto X.

EDIT: G3 is also a really nice looking phone, it's pretty huge in person though (not sure if you've had your hands on one or not) and I'm not super keen on whatever skin it is LG has over the stock android, Motorola seem to give much more stock like experience.

This is a cool tool for comparing sizes of phones http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Google-Nexus-6,LG-G3/phones/8626,8347

11. zipred

zipred Android Expert

I have a second gen 2014 Moto X. It's a very nice smartphone yet it's not as fast day to day as compared to my terrific Nexus 5. The display lacks the crisp fonts and contrast of the Nexus. But you'd probably only notice with them side by side as i have them here.

After a full year of use, mines still fast and reliable, along with the five others I bought at the request of family members who wanted out of their iPhone 5S models after seeing my Nexus 5.

That said I still like Motorola and I'm happy the Nexus 6 is being built by them. I'm extremely excited to finally get a 6"display, a size I have calculated after trial of virtually every other size smartphone display available over the last several years.

12. Hunter5

Wow! Just compared the N5 & N6, what a difference in size. The N6 is HUGE!!

13. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

Honestly, I would love to have the bigger Nexus 6, but I am quite happy using my Nexus 5 another year. It is still, a year later, a flagship worthy phone, fast and smooth as the dickens. At $400 for 32GB it remains an unbeatable deal for an unlocked phone. I hope Google keeps in available for a while.

14. Hunter5

Yeah I'm with you, my 5 runs so smooth, some days I'm for getting the 6 and others I'm not. I'm probably going to wait awhile, $600+ is a lot right now. I did notice today the Google Play has the 5 back in-stock.

15. zipred

zipred Android Expert

Here's another tool to compare specs

LG Nexus 5 vs. Motorola Nexus 6 - GSMArena.com

16. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

I didn't realize the Nexus 6 has an AMOLED screen. That really ups the ante a bit. We'll see how long I hold out. If I get a tax refund, watch out... :D

17. zipred

zipred Android Expert

At every turn the rumors get better, the Nexus 6 more desirable for my needs and preferences. It's as though I was interviewed by Google and asked what I'd like.

Oh wait... Oh never mind :D

18. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I believe that the N5 will get the lollypop update, and since the N6 is too big, i'll be getting the N5.:p

19. biggiephil

biggiephil Android Enthusiast

Of course the n5 its getting Lollipop :D

20. chukka63

chukka63 Android Enthusiast

If you get a non faulty one then I'd yes it's still worth getting

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews