1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support is the aspect ratio and display size of Xoom good for PDFs?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by grizzancs, Mar 17, 2011.

1. grizzancs

grizzancs Lurker
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    I have posted this in iPad vs Xoom, but it is really not a "vs" question, and my post is being lost there. So here it is:

Could anybody please tell me how worse is reading PDFs on the Xoom compared to the iPad? As the width of the screen in portrait is 1.2 cm less than the screen of the iPad, which could be just the difference between too small and comfortable font sizes.

I would mainly buy it for reading tech PDFs, but Honeycomb looks so much more cool (with notifications, etc), and I would be able to watch widescreen series/movies without 2 big black bars (how bad is that on iPad anyway?)

Also I understand ipad2 is much more comfortable to hold (which is also a positive thing for reading).

Unfortunately currently I don't have access to those devices to try out (and the xoom will come to europe only much later, with who knows what at price point in Hungary...)

I'd buy the xoom, but.. I fear that the display width in portrait mode isn't the best for my needs.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. clb2196

clb2196 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    I personally would prefer the screen size of the iPad, if I had a choice (on an Android tab, I mean ;) ). But I've been reading a lot of pdfs for my class in portrait view without a problem. It should resize it without a problem if it needs to.

3. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    the xooms display is not problem for PDFs. i use Docs To Go and the Pdf, excel, etc.. files i load up display just fine. Docs to go is a much better app overall for files such as this...

4. clb2196

clb2196 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    I use Docs to Go as well, as a reference point.

5. grizzancs

grizzancs Lurker
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    so, it's not bothersome to read on the xoom either. thanks!

marctronixx likes this.
  6. ebpman

ebpman Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    I have both the ipad 2 and xoom. While there are good apps for viewing pdfs in android i use Repligo. I do alot of annotation. My only dislike is that opening PDFs on Xoom has an initial view where there is grey space on the top and bottom of the screen. The IPAD fills the pdf with no white, grey or black space based on the application you are using to view the page. Bottom line is that paper is not wide screen. So that may cause that view. Does any one use an app that on opening fills the pdf to full screen with know blank spaces?

7. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    let me again say i use docs to go. its one stop shopping for documents. :)

when i open pdfs it will first "fit to page". so the background is gray.. which to me is how its suposed to be. i can then tell it go "fit width" and then the entire pdf ffills the page.

i dont see top or bottom bars at all. just a gray background whic again is normal.

8. ebpman

ebpman Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    Can you load a screen shot

9. dukeebear

dukeebear Lurker
    None

Apr 4, 2011
    When you are looking at PDF's in any of these programs, does it offer any kind of book view?