• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is the camera really THIS bad?

A.Nonymous

Extreme Android User
Jun 7, 2010
I tried taking some pics w/the camera on the phone tonight. It was awful. Every picture came out grainy and horrible looking. Didn't matter if I took pictures of stuff far away or close to me. They all looked grainy. Does the camera app suck? My photo taking skills? Or the camera itself? Are there any workarounds here?

Have you tried a different camara app? Some say Camera FX is very good, I haven't tried it. The one I have been using is Camera FV5 and it does work better then the stock camera.

Also have you tried changing the camera settings? I guess with a good camera app, it will give you more settings then others and play around with them to find a good fit.

Just a thought!

Upvote 0
I tried taking some pics w/the camera on the phone tonight. It was awful. Every picture came out grainy and horrible looking. Didn't matter if I took pictures of stuff far away or close to me. They all looked grainy. Does the camera app suck? My photo taking skills? Or the camera itself? Are there any workarounds here?
I don't think the camera is that bad, its not the best, but its not a "real camera". This I took the other day, just turned the exposure down slightly and had the flash on. I like the slight background blur, haven;t seen too many camera phones that give you a background blur to differentiate from the subject. even if is is only a slight blur its still a plus in my book!
IMG_20130118_112743_184.jpg

Upvote 0
Let's have some more details here. Where and what were you taking pics of? I find the camera works just fine. You have to think "camera" and not point and shoot though.

Biggest fault people make is trying to use the FLASH all the time or using it on Auto and allowing the flash to go off. I've found you rarely/ever need the flash. Try taking pics with disabling the flash AND mess with the exposure setting some.
If your subject is more than 10 feet away, a flash is basically useless.
I still crack up when I see all the flash photos going off in a stadium at night, like the flash is stronger than the lights themselves and like it's gonna reach the field?

But, as with all phones....it's a phone, not a camera.

Upvote 0
Let's have some more details here. Where and what were you taking pics of? I find the camera works just fine. You have to think "camera" and not point and shoot though.

Biggest fault people make is trying to use the FLASH all the time or using it on Auto and allowing the flash to go off. I've found you rarely/ever need the flash. Try taking pics with disabling the flash AND mess with the exposure setting some.
If your subject is more than 10 feet away, a flash is basically useless.
I still crack up when I see all the flash photos going off in a stadium at night, like the flash is stronger than the lights themselves and like it's gonna reach the field?

But, as with all phones....it's a phone, not a camera.

I was taking pictures of things that were relatively close in indoors high light just to test things.

IMG_20130119_202708_610.jpg

This was about 2-3 feet from me.

This was a pic of the entire desk I was sitting at. Again, in pretty brightly lit indoors

IMG_20130104_182708_299.jpg

Both pics are grainy, especially as you get further from the camera. I'm not expecting SLR quality, but I'd like to be able to go on vacation and not have to lug a point and shoot around. Doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Upvote 0
A.Nonymous, what you are seeing in your pictures is EXACTLY the problem I have...it just feels like it is slightly out of focus all the time. When I called tech support, a guy told me to turn off Auto for flash, either turn it ON or OFF, but not Auto...This was repeated above by another member. I haven't tried that much, but am curious, were these pictures with it set to AUTO?

I have had very rough experience with the camera, and it SEEMS like there is a physical problem with it. My experience is that it almost feels the range is off or something...like it focuses very clear, and then right before the picture is taken or as the picture is taken, it refocuses a tiny bit off.

In fact, to led some facts to this, a couple of times, it seemed when I looked at pictures, that the subject I was focusing on was slightly out of focus, or grainy looking, as in your picture, but if I studied the picture, I would sometimes see other items be in much more sharp focus, either in front or behind (I can't remember). So I wonder if there is a problem with SOME of these phones, which is why some people get different experiences than others?

Thoughts anyone?

Upvote 0
Also if you want clear Macro pics, there is a little green square on the screen. Press it and it will focus MUCH better for close ups.....I mean like 5 inches close up.
Also you can move the white [ ] to your subject and that will cause it to focus better also.

Macro photo I took of air rifle pellets:
Why yes I did use the flash(and zoom) for this ;)

IMG_20130121_125450_572.jpg

No flash on this:
IMG_20130121_125255_325.jpg

Upvote 0
A.Nonymous, what you are seeing in your pictures is EXACTLY the problem I have...it just feels like it is slightly out of focus all the time. When I called tech support, a guy told me to turn off Auto for flash, either turn it ON or OFF, but not Auto...This was repeated above by another member. I haven't tried that much, but am curious, were these pictures with it set to AUTO?

I have had very rough experience with the camera, and it SEEMS like there is a physical problem with it. My experience is that it almost feels the range is off or something...like it focuses very clear, and then right before the picture is taken or as the picture is taken, it refocuses a tiny bit off.

In fact, to led some facts to this, a couple of times, it seemed when I looked at pictures, that the subject I was focusing on was slightly out of focus, or grainy looking, as in your picture, but if I studied the picture, I would sometimes see other items be in much more sharp focus, either in front or behind (I can't remember). So I wonder if there is a problem with SOME of these phones, which is why some people get different experiences than others?

Thoughts anyone?

The flash is indeed set to auto. I had no reason to disable it as it wasn't going off in the environment it was in. I'll be back there tonight so I can disable it and see if it makes any difference. I'm unsure why it would. It doesn't seem to make sense, but costs nothing to try so why not.

Upvote 0
I concur with the op's assessment of the camera. I recently go this phone and of course the phone is one of the first things I played with and noticed immediatley that the pics are not as "crisp" as the pics taken even by the old Samsung Continuum. I, too, am wondering if there is an app or fix to improve picture quality.

Upvote 0
Initial reviews I read about the Razr M stated the camera was "good" but that's it. After getting the phone a couple weeks ago, I say the pictures it takes are VERY good. Especially for a phone. But then I also heard that the latest software upgrade was supposed to help that so maybe since my phone is brand new, and therefore has the latest software, maybe my phone takes better pictures???

Upvote 0
The only problem I have with the RAZR M camera is it's slow shutter speed. Bad for moving objects. I use HDR mode most of the time and it helps a lot with low light conditions. Compare with my previous phone, the Rezound, the Rezound had a fast shutter speed, but it was worse in low light conditions (everything was orange or yellow), and the auto white balance never worked well. I can deal with the slow shutter speed.

I think as long as you wait for the little dot in the upper left corner to turn green you'll get decent pics.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones