• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the Captivate worth the wait?

xnoctis93

Sep 5, 2010
Hi: For awhile now, I established that I wanted a Samsung Galaxy S phone. Seeing as I live in canada, the only providers I could get it from was Bell's Galaxy S Vibrant or Roger's Samsung Captivate.[at&t version]. I am with Rogers, and long time ago intended to get the captivate when it finally came out, yet it seems it wont be until october 21st before it is released.

I know that waiting with android never works since whenever you buy a phone, something new and better is just around the corner, but do you guys forsee any significant phones, comparable to the Captivate, being released soon after / before that date. I just want to know if it's worth waiting for it, or puting the money towards another phone.

Thanks!

I'm the first time Android user switching from a long Nokia/Symbien debacle. I have to tell you this is one of the best phone i ever had. Screen is beautiful, processor and RAM is till the best there is right now.
On top of that, being Android; It is so customizable and hacker friendly. It been 1 weeks so far and i mess up my phone (semi- brick) twice already but the best thing is you can restore it (odin3). The community is great, way more apps than you can imagine and most of it is free. I don't think you'll missed a beat by October 21st. If Fryo release, it should be (hack and slash to) optimize by then. Probably the best time to get it.

Upvote 0
I just want to know if it's worth waiting for it, or puting the money towards another phone.

Thanks!

If you are willing to wait 6 months, save up for the next thing. They will have phones with dual core CPUs and such a year from now. They will also have Windows 7 phones, although they might be junky.

If GPS is a big factor, get something else.

If a great looking screen is more important, get this one.

Upvote 0
I'm the first time Android user switching from a long Nokia/Symbien debacle. I have to tell you this is one of the best phone i ever had. Screen is beautiful, processor and RAM is till the best there is right now.
On top of that, being Android; It is so customizable and hacker friendly. It been 1 weeks so far and i mess up my phone (semi- brick) twice already but the best thing is you can restore it (odin3). The community is great, way more apps than you can imagine and most of it is free. I don't think you'll missed a beat by October 21st. If Fryo release, it should be (hack and slash to) optimize by then. Probably the best time to get it.

thanks for the reply! yeah what you said is really reassuring. I love everything about the phone, and apart from a few small quirks here and there( like gps) i have faith that hopefully samsung will fix it. It turned out the reason for the delay was due to a manufacturing delay. Mid october is the stated release date, so I'll just wait until then. Also, when froyo is released, will I have to wait for my phone provider to send the update, or will there be other ways?

Thanks again!!:)

Upvote 0
Wait a couple more months instead of getting the captivate. Newer, better phones will be coming before christmas and at ces in january and in canada, with three year contracts, you need to be sure that you are getting the best phone possible before you make a purchase.

If you've waited this long, an extra two months isn't a bad wait for a better product.

Upvote 0
Wait a couple more months instead of getting the captivate. Newer, better phones will be coming before christmas and at ces in january and in canada, with three year contracts, you need to be sure that you are getting the best phone possible before you make a purchase.

If you've waited this long, an extra two months isn't a bad wait for a better product.

hmm... what your saying makes sense. I just need to weight HOW much better the phones in januaryish will be as opposed to how they are now.
if things such as gps fix and so on are unresolved by the time we reach the endish of october(when captivate is released for me) then i'll probably hold off

Upvote 0
I was about to make a similar thread when that awesome "related threads" feature brought me here.
Here is my story:
I am with AT&T, I pay 64/month(20% Company Discount) for 450mins, unlimited data, no texts.
I currently own an 8gb iPhone 3G. It is in perfect exterior condition but it is full of fail. Lags like crazy and is showing it age. (bought on Oct. 5, 2008).
Needless to say my contract is up on the Oct 5th this year and I am wondering if I should get the captivate and extend my contract with AT&T or should I go with another provider.
I live in Orlando, FL so I have access to all the networks; Sprint 4g, T mobile HSPA+, ect. So I was thinking about the G2, but also the new Desire HD sparks my interest. But the only problem is; I cant find a similar talk plan (price wise) on another network. I use Google Voice so I dont pay for texts. My family and girlfriend are on AT&T so they call me for free (2000+ min/month). If I go with Tmobile I will have to get unlimited talk, or if I go with Verizon I would have to get 900+ minutes to get the Pick friends feature they have. All of which would put my plan in the $90+ range even with the 20% discount I get across all the providers.

My question to you guys: Should I stick with AT&T for the price I have now and get the captivate or should I swap to another provider. And if I should swap what is the Optimal plan to use with google voice and the 5 people I talk with the most are all on AT&T.

Looking forward to your help,
Haze

EDIT: After writing this post I went to wireless.amazon.com and the Captivate just dropped last night from 99.99 for contract renewal to 69.99 with contract renewal (59.99 for new customers)

Upvote 0
At any time, you can always wait "just a few more months" for something better. It never changes... Technology is always improving. You just need to hop on the technology train at some point. If you're always going to wait because something better is right around the corner, you'll be waiting forever and never buy a phone.

And this is hardly a good place to be recommending a Windows-based phone. Most people here are already wise to why Windows is a bad choice for cell phones. ;)

Upvote 0
I don't recommend the Captivate or any other Galaxy S phone, the hardware specs are phenomenal but Samsung can't be relied on to address the issues with the phone. Also, GPS is an issue you need to take seriously, a lot of applications use GPS to give you information and/or display what is around you. Look at an Evo or Droid X or Droid 2, stay away from Samsung. I own one now and this will be my last Samsung phone and/or product for that matter. The issues I've had with my Blu Ray player and now the phone are not worth the headache.

Upvote 0
I know that waiting with android never works since whenever you buy a phone, something new and better is just around the corner
Actually one could apply this statement to any smartphone that is at the leading edge of development.

I've got a Droid X, and iPhone 4 and a Captivate. Of those three I prefer the Captivate.

My personal experience is that the 4.0" display is the sweet spot in terms of size, and Super AMOLED technology has made it much nicer than the TFT display on my Droid X, and nearly as crystal clear as the retina display of my iPhone 4. In fact, in day to day use, I actually prefer it over any of the others, as it's color balance,saturation and contrast is the best of the lot.

Next up is Swype... the killer app that has made all the difference in the world for me. Instead of typing on a hard glass surface, Swype turns that into a smooth gliding movement as you swipe one finger over the letters on the keyboard just once for each word. All one has to do, in order to make the learning experience fun and fast is watch a few of the 2 minute videos featured on their site and you discover that it's far more than ones initial impression. I'm happy to report that I can now compose email messages faster than when I was using the physical keyboard on my BlackBerry's.

Check it out: Swype | Text Input for Screens

Upvote 0
Personally I love my Captivate (after rooting and the one click lag fix) but I rarely use my GPS and when I do Celltower-"GPS" is enough. The screen is amazing end of story any time its next to another phone its pretty clear who the winner is.

I wouldn't blanketly recommend this phone but if screen, hardware and non-Apple are some of your top concerns and GPS is one of your lower concerns, then this is an amazing phone. If your priorities are different then you might want a different phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones