• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is the droid eris (after the 2.1 upgrade) just bad?

Hey! I loved my droid eris for a long time. I really liked using it a lot but then I got the upgrade. I've been using it for texting and I like that... but like when I text the phone will be really funny to me (it'll type messages that I never even type). When I use the internet it acts really weird (like sometimes it'll just take a long time to type the letters and at other times it won't be responsive). Then, like when people are calling me sometimes I have trouble picking up the phone call, especially when the phone isn't really on the main screen I have to scroll down the screen and the phone doesn't respond sometimes. Sometimes the phone doesn't even respond to my touch even though the touch screen works fine.

I really like the droid phones. I like having smart phones and all... but I was thinking if it's time to upgrade. I am thinking about upgrading to the droid X. Should I just ditch the droid eris? Like sometimes when my Dad calls me... I'll try to pick up the phone and it won't pick up. So I don't want him to think that like I don't want to pick up the phone or anything like that, and it'll happen when my Mom is calling too. I am thinking it might be important to upgrade because it's really starting to become a problem now.

Thanks for the welcome. This is actually a new phone. I had another droid eris and I wanted to get the upgrade so I went to the store. They couldn't get the upgrade for that phone so they sent me a replacement phone (which had a factory reset on it). It should have worked seamlessly without any problems, this is a replacement phone for a refurbished phone (the one that wouldn't upgrade) and it should have been working fine without any problems. But that hasn't been the case.

Upvote 0
A. Take it back and try your luck at getting an early upgrade again

B. Root the phone, overclock it, delete the ******ed bloatware, and flash a new ROM, it makes it a whole new device trust me.

Personally, I'd try B. You don't sound like the type that really needs the fastest phone on the market, and an Eris overclocked to 710 or 768mhz is plenty for everyone but the biggest power users.

A. isn't a bad option either though, just be firm with them that you've already been through 2 Eris' and you're not willing to take another chance, it's a 50/50 shot, but thats not bad odds.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately dialer lag did seem to be a 'hallmark' of the 2.1 upgrade.
To my knowledge the only way to REALLY get rid of it is to root your phone as zerocool suggested. The 2.1 ROMs much better than stock 2.1. We've had many folks say 'this is what the phone should have been like'.
You can lessen the dialer lag by deleting the call log every now and then, and keeping the number of sms messages stored on your phone down to a minimum. And also by clearing application cache. Before rooting my phone I cleared the cache and deleted the call log at least one per week. I'm not much of a texter, so I don't have to worry about messages piling up on the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones