• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the Droid X enough of a reason to go Verizon?

aci78

Jun 29, 2010
Seattle- ish
I am a fan of T-Mobile. I like the ability to pop out my SIM card, and pop it in the next phone of choice, bringing everything with me. This is especially handy due to the fact that I work on a naval base tha does not permit cameraphones of any kind. I like T-Mobile's customer service. They are always polite and know what the hell they are talking about. I'm pondering getting a Galaxy S for T-Mobile.

On the other hand, Verizon's new Droid X looks amazing. I love that 4.3" screen. (had the HTC HD2 with the 4.3". Loved it) I would mention the processor and other features, but it seems these two phones, minus the physical keyboard I don't care about, are close to par.

Verizon, I must begrudgingly say, also have better coverage where I live.
This Droid almost looks appealing emough to stay with Verizon and upgrade.

So, do I get the phone I'll probably like more, or get an almost as nice phone with the ability to remove my SIM and have a crappy phone at least at work. ( keep in mind that I have access to a landline at all times at work, anyway.)

well idk if it helps your situation any but i myself have no intrest in owning a keybord phone. idk why but i see it and it just makes me hate it. they both look liek good enough phones, but im waiting to the very end of the year to hear whats comign out q1/2 of next to find a new phone. i just know theres ganna be a 2ghtz touch beauty or even more delisous a duel core o.0

Upvote 0
Is the Droid X enough of a reason to go Verizon?
Switching for a device is generally a bad idea. However, it seems like you've looked into coverage so if it's worth it to you then switch. No one but you can answer your question as no device is suitable for everyone. If you have specific questions we can definitely help out with them to assist you in making your decision.

You can switch phones on Verizon. It's not quite as convenient as swapping SIM's but it's not that big a deal.

Upvote 0
I am a fan of T-Mobile. I like the ability to pop out my SIM card, and pop it in the next phone of choice, bringing everything with me. This is especially handy due to the fact that I work on a naval base tha does not permit cameraphones of any kind. I like T-Mobile's customer service. They are always polite and know what the hell they are talking about. I'm pondering getting a Galaxy S for T-Mobile.

On the other hand, Verizon's new Droid X looks amazing. I love that 4.3" screen. (had the HTC HD2 with the 4.3". Loved it) I would mention the processor and other features, but it seems these two phones, minus the physical keyboard I don't care about, are close to par.

Verizon, I must begrudgingly say, also have better coverage where I live.
This Droid almost looks appealing emough to stay with Verizon and upgrade.

So, do I get the phone I'll probably like more, or get an almost as nice phone with the ability to remove my SIM and have a crappy phone at least at work. ( keep in mind that I have access to a landline at all times at work, anyway.)

I would say if you have better coverage with Verizon than go ahead. I am also with Tmo at the moment but the lack of 3g and in many areas i go even EDGE isn't present makes me think about changing providers. Last week I picked a prepaid Verizon phone so I can test the coverage everywhere I go and I must say I am impressed, no one can beat them where I am in radius of 50 miles-all 3g.

Another thing I need to mention is the discounts Verizon offers. My wife works as a nurse and Verizon offers 22% off of the monthly charges while Tmo does not. I bet you have corp discounts through your employer as well.

Regarding the swapping of a SIM card, at the moment even if I swap mine to another GSM device I still do not have my numbers as I do not keep them on the SIM. The only convenience I see in GSM cellphone is if you travel abroad as you can get a local SIM and use your phone, but than again I have about 20 spare GSM phones I can use when I travel so it is not an issue.

Regarding the Galaxy S, I was so excited about it only to find out it is nothing like the EU version.

In any case the decision is yours. In my case I would most likely move to Verizon when the X comes out middle of the month. If you do so too, my only advise is get it without a contract if you can afford it or with 1 year the most as there will be few unbelievable smartphones by this time next year so you do not have to be stuck with ETF.

Upvote 0
Switching for a device is generally a bad idea. However, it seems like you've looked into coverage so if it's worth it to you then switch. No one but you can answer your question as no device is suitable for everyone. If you have specific questions we can definitely help out with them to assist you in making your decision.

You can switch phones on Verizon. It's not quite as convenient as swapping SIM's but it's not that big a deal.

I would be switching it daily. Don't think they would supprt after awhile.

Upvote 0
I would go for Sprint, with HTC Evo.

A friend of mine got a Droid X at the press release, and we did a comparison a few days ago. The EVO beats out the droid X, if you have verizon, stick with verizon. The size factor(droid X is a little bigger, and the phones are big enough to be a pain as is), the quality of build, and lack of some features the EVO has. Although I think teh 8Gb internal memory is really really awesome.

But one of the most important aspects is cost. Verizon's a great service, but also is much more expensive.

I don't use the 4G access, and tbh, I didn't buy the phone expecting it, but at least I know I'll be ready.

We did some tests side by side, utilizing 3G. Sprint's service for me has been amazing, and I'm getting great d/l and u/l rates. about 3 times as fast as my old at*t 3G. The data was quicker on the EVO when i used speetest.net, but with the FCC app, the droid x had a better benchmark. But pretty much around the same.

Mind you we were both in a park, in a somewhat "remote" location.

But even with that. After doing some phone comparisons of opening web pages, we noticed EVO being faster than Droid X.

Droid X is awesome, I wont deny that, it really seems verizon/motorola's answer to the EVO. But i'm a big fan of Sprint's pricing, and Sprint's true unlimited access. The rumored tiered data plan of verizon coming out doesn't seem too great. I like abusing bandwidth, true unlimited is awesome.

Sprint shares roaming data and calling with Verizon too, no? so you'd have the same good verizon service with additional stuff at a lower cost?:)

I might just be a little 2 happy switching from at*T->sprint, might be half my ideas. I had verizon before and found the service great, just expensive.

Upvote 0
Droid X vs EVO? I am not really interested in a smartphone without a keyboard. So the other matchup will be Samsung Epic on Sprint vs Droid 2. I think epic wins quite easily.
But then there's the issue of content. Verizon plans to bring lots of exclusive content including games and NFL.

Upvote 0
why only a keyboard?

I think once you use the touch screen you eventually iwll hate having a slide out keyboard!:)

I bought my fiancee a Droid for christmass last year, and she hates that it has a slide out kb now, at first she thought she would only use that, n not use the touch screen. But after having it she doesnt' use it all, and it just takes up space.

Upvote 0
why only a keyboard?

I think once you use the touch screen you eventually iwll hate having a slide out keyboard!:)

I bought my fiancee a Droid for christmass last year, and she hates that it has a slide out kb now, at first she thought she would only use that, n not use the touch screen. But after having it she doesnt' use it all, and it just takes up space.

Thats probably b/c the Droid kb sucks. Gotta be in the top ten worst slider's in history.

That being said, Epic 4G dominates Droid 2.

Upvote 0
I love Verizon's coverage, always 3g everywhere I go in Ohio, even a 200 mile trip down the middle of Ohio keeps me in 3g the entire way while my AT&T buddy is dropping every 2 minutes.

Anyways, I like Android because EVERYTHING is always up to date and synced to Google servers, I know that if you have the backup program with Verizon you can easily export and import the Google contacts list back and forth, although I do not know how good that would be.

As to the swapping of phones back and forth on a single line, I doubt that would work very well, activating the android phones can be a rather pain in the ass procedure...

Upvote 0
There is no reason good enough to switch to a CDMA carrier and lose the ability to multi task because when your using the phone you can not use the internet... not to mention TMO is rolling out HSPA

And you can't do voice and data on over 70% of TMO's network, so whats your point? (No voice + data on EDGE!)

Sprint's 4G footprint is going to eclipse Tmobiles 3G coverage very shortly, and guess what? You can do Voice + Data with 4G.

Upvote 0
There is no reason good enough to switch to a CDMA carrier and lose the ability to multi task because when your using the phone you can not use the internet... not to mention TMO is rolling out HSPA

I have been using a version of a smartphone for well over 2 years on Verizon's network, and not once have I ever had to use this or needed to use this feature...

Just a gimmick for me...

Upvote 0
I love Verizon's coverage, always 3g everywhere I go in Ohio, even a 200 mile trip down the middle of Ohio keeps me in 3g the entire way while my AT&T buddy is dropping every 2 minutes.

Anyways, I like Android because EVERYTHING is always up to date and synced to Google servers, I know that if you have the backup program with Verizon you can easily export and import the Google contacts list back and forth, although I do not know how good that would be.

As to the swapping of phones back and forth on a single line, I doubt that would work very well, activating the android phones can be a rather pain in the ass procedure...

I spoke with T-Mobile tonight. There is no "activating", just remove sim card and replace it in other phone. The only bad side is the data plan does not transfer. Can still use phone, text, etc., just can only use data plan on one device unless I want to pay for 2 data plans.

Upvote 0
But even with that. After doing some phone comparisons of opening web pages, we noticed EVO being faster than Droid X.

Sprint shares roaming data and calling with Verizon too, no? so you'd have the same good verizon service with additional stuff at a lower cost?:)

The Droid X has a faster CPU and GPU, also you don't get the same service as a Verizon customer when roaming on their network.

Upvote 0
The Droid X has a faster CPU and GPU, also you don't get the same service as a Verizon customer when roaming on their network.

mrmojoz, after doing a side by side comparison a few days ago noticing app load time, both me and my friend with the droid x noticed my EVO being faster than his Droid X at opening apps, opening web pages, smoothness seemed pretty much the same though.

are there true substantial benchmarks on the "Better cpu/GPU" ? or is it slightly differently where in a real world test, it'd be almost indistinguishable? mind you the real world tests above favored the EVO. but also some CPUs/GPUs work better on certain functions than others...

Upvote 0
mrmojoz, after doing a side by side comparison a few days ago noticing app load time, both me and my friend with the droid x noticed my EVO being faster than his Droid X at opening apps, opening web pages, smoothness seemed pretty much the same though.

are there true substantial benchmarks on the "Better cpu/GPU" ? or is it slightly differently where in a real world test, it'd be almost indistinguishable? mind you the real world tests above favored the EVO. but also some CPUs/GPUs work better on certain functions than others...

And keep in mind the Galaxy S Series completely smashed both EVO and Droid X

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones