• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the Droid X upgrade incentive happening or not?

flowtime

Jun 9, 2010
So I've heard and read that Verizon would allow people with upgrades that happen by the end of 2010 to upgrade early for the droid X. I have called three different Verizon stores and gotten three different answers

1. Verizon will be sending out emails and flyers to random/certain people(oxymoron in itself)

2. No not at all. What are you talking about.

3.Maybe. I think I heard something about that.

Is there anybody that knows anything about this.

W
So I've heard and read that Verizon would allow people with upgrades that happen by the end of 2010 to upgrade early for the droid X. I have called three different Verizon stores and gotten three different answers

1. Verizon will be sending out emails and flyers to random/certain people(oxymoron in itself)

2. No not at all. What are you talking about.

3.Maybe. I think I heard something about that.

Is there anybody that knows anything about this.
i talked to a csr with verizon and he told me he could not discuss This just yet and told me to call back closer to the launch date. Mostemployees in store are cluless....

Upvote 0
it is confusing. there is a current smartphone promotion that anyone can upgrade if there contract is up this year. I just talked to a CSR about it. It is not if your upgrade is available this year. Its your contract end date. I am good for an upgrade Nov 2010. But contract is not up till March 2011 they said. This is a smartphone htc tp2 on an additional line on a family plan.

I hope that there is an actual promotion for the droid x for upgrade date in 2010 and you are good for an upgrade at launch. because currently there is no such promotion.

I have my preorder at BestBuy. just need the specific droid x promotion to make it at promotional price. otherwise I will have to get it at full retail.

Upvote 0
from the vsw press release announcing the X:

"In addition, current Verizon Wireless customers who have contracts ending by December 31, 2010, can upgrade to any smartphone, including DROID X, without penalty."

It sounds like a special promotion is going to happen near the Droid X launch date from that statement. Like always, employees probably aren't told about it until the week before. Not all of them follow tech news.

Upvote 0
They posted the actual verizon flyer awhile back, but yeah it is contract end date. I don't know if they can check your account right now, but if your contract ends by December 2010 then you should have zero problems. What sucks is at the droid x announcement a lot of the major sites said it would be anyone who is eligible to upgrade in 2010, like what at&t does for the iphone. Verizon wasn't willing to go to that extent just contract ending 2010.

Upvote 0
I just left a VW store ( canceled my DINC ) and asked about that, "I haven't heard anything like that yet..."

Got home talked to CS and she said "no that's no true, people are lucky it even applies to the DX"

Whatever, mines been up since last year and my girlfriends is 2/11 but I thought I may just ask

Upvote 0
I just left a VW store ( canceled my DINC ) and asked about that, "I haven't heard anything like that yet..."

Got home talked to CS and she said "no that's no true, people are lucky it even applies to the DX"

Whatever, mines been up since last year and my girlfriends is 2/11 but I thought I may just ask

Well the CS rep you talked to must have been clueless because the memo from verizon is all over the internet and was announced at the droid X event

Upvote 0
People are still confused about this. There is no special promotion that will allow anyone with a contract end or annual upgrade in 2010 to upgrade early to the Droid X. During the press conference they announced that anyone who's contract ended in 2010 could upgrade to a Droid X. What they failed to mention is that this promotion is for non smart phone users and is for any smart phone. Not just the DX. Obviously it was a Droid X event so that was going to be their main point of focus when talking about the upgrade promotion.

Now there is always a chance that they could announce a completely different promotion closer to or after launch that would allow maybe current Droid owners to upgrade or maybe even anyone with a contract end in 2010 to upgrade. But I wouldn't count on it. They have our money and most of us are under contract so they are more focused on getting more new customers locked into 2 year data contracts.

Upvote 0
I have a smartphone and they told me i was elegible for the promotion so....

They told me the same thing when I called. But I honestly don't think they know the specifics of the promotion. And if they do have info on something like that then the stores would as well. I went in to the local corporate store a few days after talking to a CS. These guys for the most part do actually know what they are talking about. One of the guys I know there searched through their system for well over a 1/2 hour and could come up with nothing other than the 3G smart phone upgrade promotion that is posted all over the net. And he was really trying to find any piece of info he could for me.

Upvote 0
People are still confused about this. There is no special promotion that will allow anyone with a contract end or annual upgrade in 2010 to upgrade early to the Droid X. During the press conference they announced that anyone who's contract ended in 2010 could upgrade to a Droid X. What they failed to mention is that this promotion is for non smart phone users and is for any smart phone. Not just the DX. Obviously it was a Droid X event so that was going to be their main point of focus when talking about the upgrade promotion.

Now there is always a chance that they could announce a completely different promotion closer to or after launch that would allow maybe current Droid owners to upgrade or maybe even anyone with a contract end in 2010 to upgrade. But I wouldn't count on it. They have our money and most of us are under contract so they are more focused on getting more new customers locked into 2 year data contracts.

There sure is a lot of confusion. As you pointed out because the announcment happened with the Droid X event.

The actual statement by Verizon "...current Verizon Wireless customers who have contracts ending by December 31, 2010, can upgrade to any smartphone, including DROID X, without penalty. " does indicate that it is ANY smartphone.

The entire announcement from Verizon can be found here:

July 2010: DROID X By Motorola Lands On The Nation’s Largest & Most Reliable 3G Network

Upvote 0

Don't add to the confusion, the actual flyer for the droid x contract ending in 2010 promo was posted awhile ago (it's called next best activity). And as urdaddi pointed out verizon mentioned it in the press release. The deal you are thinking of non-smartphone to smartphone if you are eligible to upgrade in 2010 is a different promo that also works. What doesn't work is if your upgrade eligible in 2010 but your contract ends after 2010, then you are out of luck.

found the link:
http://www.droid-life.com/2010/06/25/verizons-3g-smartphone-early-upgrade-details/

Reactions: ckochinsky125
Upvote 0
Don't add to the confusion, the actual flyer for the droid x contract ending in 2010 promo was posted awhile ago (it's called next best activity). And as urdaddi pointed out verizon mentioned it in the press release. The deal you are thinking of non-smartphone to smartphone if you are eligible to upgrade in 2010 is a different promo that also works. What doesn't work is if your upgrade eligible in 2010 but your contract ends after 2010, then you are out of luck.

found the link:
Verizon’s 3G Smartphone Early Upgrade Details - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I'm not adding to the confusion. It is what it is. There are not two separate promotions going on. People are reading too much into it. I guess on the 15th all of these people who assume or have been told that they are gonna be able to upgrade find out they are actually not elegible for an upgrade are gonna be really disappointed. Either that or I am gonna be eating a lot of crow. :D Trust me I do hope that it is true about the upgrade. I really don't wanna add another line to get the X. If I can actually get it for the upgrade price on my current primary line I will be ecstatic. But I'm not holding my breath. Don't look too good in purple.

Upvote 0
I'm not adding to the confusion. It is what it is. There are not two separate promotions going on. People are reading too much into it. I guess on the 15th all of these people who assume or have been told that they are gonna be able to upgrade find out they are actually not elegible for an upgrade are gonna be really disappointed. Either that or I am gonna be eating a lot of crow. :D Trust me I do hope that it is true about the upgrade. I really don't wanna add another line to get the X. If I can actually get it for the upgrade price on my current primary line I will be ecstatic. But I'm not holding my breath. Don't look too good in purple.

I believe you are wrong though, there are two different promotions going on and I know that. One is for only non-smartphone users and one is for the promotion the announced when the Droid X was announced.

Upvote 0
To clear up of what VZW as far as letting people upgrade early is that for those who have contract dates ending by December 31, 2010, you can upgrade to any Smartphone with no penalty. If you go online to your MyVerizon account via Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, 3G Smartphones, the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless it should tell you when your contract date ends. If you are unable to access your account you can call Customer Service, *611 via your cell phone and they will tell you when your contract date ends.

Yes, there is also another promotion that has been going on for non-Smartphone users to upgrade to a Smartphone with a $20 early upgrade fee.

Upvote 0

Sooooo what you are saying is that since I already have a smart phone (BB Curve) I will not be eligible to upgrade to the Droid X which is also a smart phone??

You are saying that anyone that already has a smart phone will not be eligible to upgrade without penalty to another smart phone until their contract ends???

Just trying to make sure I'm understanding your posts.

Upvote 0
@ohnono: It is my understanding that the promo that they talked about at the press conference was actually the 3g smstphone upgrade promotion. They just didn't go that far into detail about it. And with that people assumed that the upgrade promotion was for current smartphone and non smartphone users. It was even to the point that people read it that you could upgrade early if your contract was up or you were up for an annual upgrade. I have yet to see anything in writing, other than transcripts from the press conference, that states you can upgrade specifically to a Droid X even if you already have a smartphone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones